Take it seriously if you have no other symptoms suggestive of respiratory illness, but wake up sore throat regularly in the morning!
Dr. Monika Augusztinovicz otolaryngologist, allergist, physician at the Otolaryngology Center he said of the two common causes of morning sore throats.
Morning sore throat – hard to pass
Have you been waking up in the morning for days or maybe weeks to aching, dry or scratching your throat? Do you reach for water, make tea, make coffee to get rid of the discomfort? The sore throat then gradually disappears during the day, but the next day, it wakes up again. Prolonged complaints can have several causes, but can often be traced back to chronic nasal congestion, snoring, or reflux.
He sleeps with his mouth open
If our nose gets clogged in the case of a runny nose, as the effect of the nasal spray depends, we will not get air again. In this case, we breathe through the mouth, but this causes the throat to dry out. At such times we want a lot of fluids, we often wake up at night due to nasal congestion, sore throat, but fortunately, with the end of the respiratory disease, the sore throat also goes away.
Prolonged nocturnal nasal congestion can also be caused by nasal polyps, nasal congestion and nasal congestion, but can also be a symptom of a respiratory allergy. During the winter, indoor allergens – dust mites, mold and pet hair – cause complaints.
“In an anatomical position, nasal congestion is more intense. If there is an ear-nose-laryngeal lesion requiring treatment that causes nasal congestion, it is often the cause of morning sore throat. Such a problem could be snoring or sleep apnea with more serious complications. ”
Too much stomach acid
In reflux disease, due to the excessive tension in the esophageal sphincter, the acidic stomach contents flow back into the esophagus, all the way back to the pharynx. When you are lying down, the symptoms of reflux get worse, but not everyone has the typical symptoms.
“The disease is identified with a strong heartburn, a burning sensation in the chest, frequent belching, bad taste in the mouth, although there is another form, silent reflux. In this case, the characteristic symptoms are missing, often only the respiratory symptoms – sore throat, cough, recurrent sinusitis – call attention to it. ”
Investigation and treatment of morning sore throat
- After a detailed examination of the patient and a physical examination, the entire nasopharyngeal region can be examined using a painless video endoscopic procedure.
- If there are any lesions – such as a nasal polyp, a sign of inflammation of the paranasal sinuses, a tumor, a rumen of the nasal septum, or an enlarged nasal congestion – that can cause nasal congestion, it will be recognized.
- The test also shows the condition of the nasal mucosa, if necessary, an allergy test can be performed.
- If reflux is suspected, gastroenterological examination and treatment are also required, in addition to the treatment of otolaryngological symptoms, so that improvement can be achieved.
- In case of snoring, a sleep test is needed to rule out sleep apnea. This can also be done as part of a home sleep test.
By mapping and treating the underlying causes, morning sore throat can also be eliminated.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Napidoktor by napidoktor.hu. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!