Yoo Seung-jun, unending anger “Is this going to be a problem for 20 years?”

Singer Seung-Jun Yoo (45, Steve Seung-Jun Yoo, photo) asked the court, saying, “Is this a matter that will be a problem for 20 years?”

At the first hearing of the lawsuit held at the Seoul Administrative Court’s 5th administrative division (Chief Judge Jung Sang-gyu) on the 3rd, Yoo’s attorney said, “Initially, Yoo did not acquire (US citizenship) for the purpose of evading military service.” It has been almost 20 years since the refusal to enter the country, so is this really such a problem?” he said.

Yoo’s side filed a lawsuit against the Consulate General of the Los Angeles Consulate General to cancel the second passport/visa issuance refusal.

On this day, Yoo’s lawyer said, “No one else has been subjected to this kind of disposition.” “It’s been 20 years, but when the issue of military service is still talked about, Yoo’s name is mentioned. There are people who do not know his songs, but there are people who do not know about the military service controversy.”

He also said, “The defendant said that Yoo’s entry should be banned because of ‘controversy’, but the cause and effect have changed. ” he pointed at the government.

Prior to the trial, Yoo and the Consulate General in Los Angeles (LA) also argued over the interpretation of the Supreme Court’s final decision.

Yoo, who debuted with ‘Scissors’ in 1997 and released hit songs such as ‘Nanana’ and ‘Passion’, and worked as a top-notch dance singer in Korea, overturned his promise to enlist in the military in 2002 and obtained citizenship in the United States. was banned from entering the country.

After that, he applied for permission to enter the country with the ‘Overseas Koreans Visa (F-4)’ in 2015, but even this was rejected. Accordingly, a lawsuit was filed against the Consulate General of Los Angeles (LA), claiming that the disposition of refusal to issue a visa was unreasonable, and the 1st and 2nd trial courts ruled that the government’s refusal to issue a visa was justified.

On March 12 last year, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the final plaintiff in a lawsuit against Yoo’s refusal to issue a visa.

However, the Consulate General of Los Angeles in Los Angeles refused to issue a visa for Yoo again on July 2, citing the Overseas Koreans Act, saying, “There is a risk of harming the interests of the Republic of Korea, such as national security, public welfare, order maintenance, and diplomatic relations.”

In response, Yoo filed a lawsuit again with the Seoul Administrative Court to cancel the disposition of refusal to issue passports and visas against the consul-general in Los Angeles.

At the first hearing on the same day, Yoo argued that the Supreme Court’s decision was to allow visa issuance.

On the other hand, the legal representative of the consulate-general in Los Angeles countered, “The purpose was to exercise discretion and decide whether to issue a visa again, but it did not mean to issue a visa.”

On this day, Yoo’s side requested that the Ministry of Justice review the previous Supreme Court’s judgment on reversal and remand and check the facts to determine what conclusion it has reached, and the court accepted this request.

The court urged Yoo to “clarify how you will view it, even though the freedom to enter Korea cannot be regarded as a fundamental right under the Constitution for overseas Koreans.”

In addition, the Consulate General of Los Angeles in Los Angeles said, “According to the Overseas Koreans Act, even those who become foreigners for the purpose of evading military service are given the status of stay in Korea after the age of 38, so please consider whether this is related to this case.”

On the other hand, Yoo is uploading a rebuttal video on YouTube whenever the Military Manpower Administration or the Ministry of National Defense makes a statement about his entry ban. His YouTube channel subscribers are around 85,900 as of the 4th.

In March, Yoo said to Mo Jong-hwa, director of the Military Manpower Administration, who referred to himself as ‘an obvious evader of military service who got US citizenship after saying he was going on a trip’, saying, “They took away all of the most important celebrities in their 20s and 30s. If you do that much, you must have a conscience.”

By Hyun Hwa-young, staff reporter [email protected]

Photo = Photo = Capture of Yoo Seung-jun’s official channel video

[ⓒ 세계일보 & Segye.com, 무단전재 및 재배포 금지]


Source: 연예 by www.segye.com.

*The article has been translated based on the content of 연예 by www.segye.com. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!

*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.

*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!