[DIAPORAMA] We often sacrifice it for lack of appetite or time … yet breakfast contributes to our daily food balance and can even be registered in a weight loss program. Here are some ways to make your breakfast a slimming ally.
For it to be effective and part of a weight loss program, breakfast must be “filling”. When it is finished, normally we should not be hungry and not think about eating for a few hours. It will therefore be a rich, varied breakfast without excess calories. It must be made up of milk, fruit, bread or cereals. You can add coffee or tea, if possible without sugar.
The fake breakfast friends
- Honey is delicious and healthy, but very high in calories. A teaspoonful is more than enough on the toast.
- Agave syrup is just as high in calories as honey and sugar. Of course, the fructose gives it a strong sweet taste, so we use a little less, but it is not a miracle product. We actually save very few calories by consuming it.
- Regarding cereals, the amount of calories and sugar in them depends on the type and the portion. A nice 40g handful of refined sweet cereal is still equivalent to 3 lumps of sugar – but that would only be 2 lumps of sugar with plain, low-sugar cereal or muesli. Very compatible with a healthy breakfast.
- If it is oatmeal, there is no added sugar.
- As for vegetable drinks (soya, almonds, etc.), most of them contain a lot of added sugar and little or no calcium (except the versions which are enriched).
Which bread to choose?
Bread is the star food of the morning and, for most of us, a breakfast staple. The idea is not to put all your cards in the door when you want to lose weight. To avoid eating too much, we can start by the milk and the fruit before attacking the toast.
Which bread to choose? Tradition, with cereals, sourdough, buckwheat or made with wholemeal flour… they all have about the same caloric intake, but wholemeal bread, whose crumb is quite dense, is more filling. So we eat less. In addition, the complex carbohydrates (slow sugars) that compose it also allow the body to last until the next meal without feeling hungry and without the risk of snacking, because it is digested gradually.
Beware of industrial breads with refined flour (lower in fiber, minerals and vitamins) and a high glycemic index which give you the feeling of hunger more quickly. They are really to be avoided.
What about morning fasting?
There are people who have always skipped breakfast and live with it. Why not, if they eat a balanced diet for the rest of the day and don’t feel tired in the morning. On the other hand, there are others who cannot do without eating in the morning.
It must be understood that a diet only works if it is long-term and if it corresponds to the tastes and habits of each. If fasting in the morning is aimed at saving calories, the outcome will be disappointing. But if you want to try the experience, you have to add to the other meals (lunch, snack and dinner) the dairy products and the fruit that were not taken for breakfast, so as not to miss any during the day.
The ideal breakfast when watching your weight
- Dairy : 1 natural yogurt or 200 g of cottage cheese with 0% fat.
- 1 fresh fruit chewable or cut, to mix with cottage cheese
- 1 compote without added sugar to enjoy with plain yogurt or 1 glass of orange juice (pressed or bottled, no added sugar).
- Whole wheat bread or tradition, lightly buttered or jammy: 1 to 2 slices of wholemeal bread or a quarter of a traditional baguette. Or cereal: a nice handful of muesli or oatmeal (35 to 45 g) in half a bowl of milk.
- A tea or a coffee Sugar free.
Our experts: Dr. Laurence Plumey, nutritionist doctor at Necker hospital, professor of nutrition at the Paris School of Dietetics and Anthony Berthou, nutritionist specializing in micronutrition and sport and health.
Read also :
Subscribe to the Top Santé Newsletter to receive the latest news for free
*The article has been translated based on the content of Topsante.com by www.topsante.com. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!