The clean, mid-century-style wooden small furniture of Gábor Szabó and Gergely are the ornaments of New Zealand, Greek and American homes, and the traditions live on in their manufactory. During the workshop visit, the Housing Culture talked to Gábor, the older brother.
– Family tradition Do you have carpentry?
– Not at all. I was originally interested in the social sciences, but then I realized it wasn’t my world. Since I had good dexterity, I drew well, I applied to a woodworking school in Budapest, where I graduated as a furniture industry technician. Meanwhile, my brother was made into the film industry. When I started working as a trainee in a restoration workshop after getting my certificate, Gergely was also interested in the world of furniture making, and he also graduated from the school I did. We then started the joint venture, initially with average carpentry work.
– However, WE ON WOOD furniture is by no means average!
– As a beginner, we have seen that few young people choose the manual profession, and older people are often unable to meet today’s expectations. This was the starting point for creating our brand and for making quality pieces that we like as well. It was Gergely’s idea to sell our products on Etsyn and we created our own brand around 2015-16. Because it was important for us to feel completely at home with the project, we didn’t involve outside help, not even a graphic designer, to guess the name and logo. By now, we have reached the size of thinking about building our own website and webshop.
– The style you represent is popular lately. Is that why you chose it?
“Since I originally started my career with restoration, I admit, I got a little tired of Baroque, Rococo, Biedermeier, so I turned to the clean world of form, and my brother was instinctively attracted to the mid-century style. In the beginning, we didn’t decide anything, the point was to get the objects we liked out of our hands and not to copy. Later, we consciously designed the individual pieces down to the smallest detail.
– How is a new WE ON WOOD furniture born?
– We monitor the work of Hungarian professionals, Italian, French and American trends, but we also review modern design furniture catalogs. Based on what we have seen, we design our pieces that can be manufactured even in small-scale conditions. It is important to recoup the labor and material costs invested, and we also make sure that they can be shipped abroad in normal-sized packaging. We also need to pay attention to weight and size, which makes the task even more complicated. We both do everything from selecting the wood to putting the package together, so we can think carefully about what to do.
The full interview by clicking here available.
Source: Magyar Nemzet by magyarnemzet.hu.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Magyar Nemzet by magyarnemzet.hu. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!