The prevailing heat wave and the fact that Swedes are holidaying in the country to a greater extent is increasing water consumption in holiday resorts. – We have to wait and see how it will be this week. According to SMHI, we have some hot days ahead of us, says Fredrik Vinthagen, press spokesperson at Swedish Water.
A number of municipalities have recently gone out and asked the residents to be careful and smart in their water use, in order to avoid having to introduce an irrigation ban later.
– Those who are in a critical situation have already introduced an irrigation ban, says Vinthagen, press spokesperson for Swedish Water, an industry organization for municipalities and the municipal water service companies.
So far, there are about thirty municipalities in a critical situation. Some have lifted the irrigation ban a few days ago, such as Kristianstad and Hörby.
– But that was before this heat wave started so we will see during the week how it develops.
Extra difficult at resorts
Especially in holiday resorts, it becomes extra difficult when there is a very rapid population increase during the summer season, according to Vinthagen.
– This applies to Öland, Gotland and the popular holiday resorts – the West Coast and Österlen where we like to spend time in the summer, he says.
Båstad has had problems. There are a lot of people there and a seasonal population where the heat can make many people use water at the same time.
– Now during the corona pandemic, many also stay in Sweden during the holidays, which further increases water consumption, he further explains.
It is warm weather and many people are left in Sweden, and there will be quite a lot of summer cottages. The hotter it is, the more water we want to use and then there are many at the same time turning the tap.
TT: So the combination of this week’s heat wave and that we spend our holidays in Sweden on a larger scale can be a problem when water consumption increases?
– We will see if it leads to a municipality needing to introduce an irrigation ban or if it is enough to tell the population to be smart with their water use.
Persistent heat a problem
If the heat stays for a long time, the problems will increase in many municipalities, according to Vinthagen.
– There is no shortage of water in Sweden but there is a lack of capacity when many use water at the same time. We must learn not to use water in the middle of the day but morning and evening.
Some municipalities are also more dependent on groundwater and use it as their main water supply.
There are municipalities that use a lot of groundwater for their drinking water and the reservoir begins to be emptied during drought.
Facts: How to use water smartly in the heat
Do not fill the pool with municipal water, you can often order water.
The pool should perhaps preferably be refrained from filling right now. On each municipality’s water supplier’s website, you can see what applies.
Use water morning and evening, instead of in the middle of the day, to avoid capacity shortages.
Shower instead of bathing.
Avoid watering in the middle of the day, when it is still evaporating, and water instead when it is not so hot.
If you put a rainwater barrel under the downpipe, you can quickly collect a lot of water in a short time on the days it rains. Then you often manage a normal garden need.
When irrigating, do not use the water hose, as it consumes an incredible amount of water. Use jugs if you need watering.
If you have your own well, it is even more important to keep track of the situation. In some municipalities, you can get help to refill your well if it has dried out.
Source: Swedish water
Source: Nyteknik – Senaste nytt by www.nyteknik.se.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Nyteknik – Senaste nytt by www.nyteknik.se. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!