Ukraine asked to receive intelligence information from Israel regarding the assistance that Iran is giving to the Russian army in the war, especially regarding the supply of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), Israeli and Ukrainian senior officials told Voila!
why is it important:
- In the last two weeks, Russia has carried out several attacks on Ukrainian military forces using “suicide” drones, which the Ukrainian military claims were Iranian-made Shah-136 drones that were handed over to the Russian army and repainted to make identification difficult.
- The US and Ukraine accused Iran of transferring to Russia hundreds of advanced drones with attack capabilities. The Iranians denied this for a long time. Commanders in the Ukrainian army admitted that the Iranian drones gave the Russians a certain advantage on the battlefield in several areas.
- In recent days, Ukraine announced the downgrading of diplomatic relations with Iran. The Ukrainians revoked the charter of the Iranian ambassador in Kiev and expelled several Iranian diplomats from the country.
between the lines:
- The relations between Russia and Iran have become very tight against the background of the international isolation in which Russia is following the invasion of Ukraine. The ties between the two countries have strengthened at a time when the negotiations between Iran and the powers on returning to the nuclear deal are stuck.
Behind the Scenes:
- The Deputy Director of Eurasia at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Simona Halperin, who is responsible for relations with Russia and Ukraine, visited Kiev about two weeks ago and met with Ukrainian Deputy Foreign Minister for Middle East Affairs Maksim Sobh.
- A senior Ukrainian official noted that Halperin wanted to meet with Foreign Minister Dmitry Kolba and President Zelensky’s top advisers, but they refused to meet with her.
- Senior Israeli officials said that the Ukrainian deputy foreign minister told Halperin that Ukraine wants to open a channel of talks with Israel on the Middle East issue in order to receive information and intelligence material and coordinate positions. The Ukrainian Deputy Foreign Minister noted that this is an issue that is very important to Ukraine in light of the military cooperation between Iran and Russia.
- The Israeli officials added that the Ukrainian deputy foreign minister stated that Ukraine opposes the lifting of the international sanctions imposed on Iran because such a move would allow the Iranians to increase military cooperation with Russia.
- The Ukrainian Deputy Foreign Minister told Halperin that Ukraine expects Israel to express a clearer position regarding Russian aggression and to back Ukraine unequivocally. He noted that Ukraine expects Israel to provide military aid directly or indirectly through a third country and to join the international sanctions against Moscow – especially those imposed on senior Russian officials.
- A senior Ukrainian official stated that Ukraine is interested in receiving from Israel mainly intelligence information about the drones that Iran supplies to Russia. “The Israelis gave us some intelligence information, but we need much more,” said the senior Ukrainian official.
- Before the Russian invasion, the Ministry of Defense gave defense export licenses to Israeli companies that wanted to sell anti-drone systems to Ukraine. However, after the start of the war, these export licenses were suspended.
- Last week it was reported on the “Zeman Israel” website that an Israeli company sold anti-drone systems to Poland so that they would be transferred to Ukraine. According to the report, the Ministry of Defense knew about the move but turned a blind eye and allowed it.
What they say:
- In an interview with a French television network published on Friday, Ukrainian President Zelensky said that Israel did not give Ukraine any assistance in the war against Russia and stated that he was shocked by this.
- He noted that Israel refuses to sell air defense systems to Ukraine while it sells such systems to other countries.
Source: Maariv.co.il – פוליטי – מדיני by www.maariv.co.il.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Maariv.co.il – פוליטי – מדיני by www.maariv.co.il. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!