Not everyone in the world uses the newest Macs. You may have a 2013 MacBook Pro. Or a 2018 MacBook Pro with a gluttonous, hot Intel Core i9 chip.
And you really want to squeeze more battery life out of it, without denying yourself anything – that is, without changing your habits. Or it’s just too hot, making a loud noise from the fans.
So, there is a way to solve these problems at the same time, literally in one click. He is non-standard, but working, and this is the main thing.
Everything below is relevant exclusively for Macs with Intel processors. All models with M1 chips are not compatible with this method. And they do not need him.
What should be done
1. Downloading the program Turbo Boost Switcher to your MacBook. Open the downloaded file with a double click, first transfer the application icon to the Applications folder, then the second folder (on the left) – there.
2. Launch Turbo Boost Switcher.
3. The program will appear in the macOS status bar. Click on her panel.
4. Select Disable Turbo Boost. Enter your Mac account password. If macOS says “the extension is blocked”, unblock it in System Preferences -> Protection and Securityby clicking on the lock icon in the lower left corner, entering the account password and then clicking on the Allow button. In the future, you will not have to repeat these steps.
5. Everything. If you want to turn Turbo Boost back on, just click on the corresponding item in the drop-down menu of the application.
Why is this?
Turbo Boost Switcher is a partially free program that turns off Turbo Boost on Intel processors. This feature of the chips allows the processor to overclock above the rated frequency when the load is increased.
And everything would be fine, but for laptops, overclocking above the norm always means two things: an increase in heat generation and a decrease in battery life. And the Turbo Boost activation algorithm itself cannot be controlled by the user. Some tab in Chrome with a poorly designed site can easily force your MacBook to increase the frequency of the chip and heat up the laptop for nothing, although at this moment it does not perform any really difficult or important tasks for you.
Turbo Boost Switcher disables this feature for Intel processors and prevents them from overshooting. This leads to an increase in battery life up to 25%, lower chip temperatures (on average – a third lower) and a decrease in cooler speed by up to 2 times.
You lose about 30% of productivity laptop in demanding tasks when Turbo Boost is turned off. But for most everyday tasks, this will not become noticeable. Plus, you can turn Turbo Boost back on at any time.
Shortly speaking, Tubro Boost Switcher – a very useful utility for hot MacBooks with Intel, gradually fading into the shadow of Apple’s progress. The program was recently updated and added support for macOS Monterey. Its source code lies on GitHub if you are suddenly afraid of any viruses.
Source: iPhones.ru — Новости высоких технологий, обзоры смартфонов, презентации Apple by www.iphones.ru.
*The article has been translated based on the content of iPhones.ru — Новости высоких технологий, обзоры смартфонов, презентации Apple by www.iphones.ru. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!