As we age, cognitive abilities play an important role in quality of life and independence. Learning ability, decision-making ability, language ability, memory, etc. are not solely determined by genes. If you want to improve your concentration, memory, and mental performance, you need to work on improving your cognitive health.
Daily habits not only contribute to maintaining a clear and healthy mind, but can also make you feel good, keep your body healthy, and provide a solid foundation to support your overall well-being.
Physical and cognitive health are closely intertwined. In other words, to take care of the mind, you must also take care of the body. Self-care habits, such as getting enough exercise and getting enough sleep, support your ability to perform mental tasks and help strengthen your cognitive health. American health media ‘Healthline.com’ compiled tips for maintaining a clear brain even as you age.
1. Activating the muscles of the mind = Doing things for fun, including hanging out with friends, is also beneficial for maintaining a clear mind. Leisure activities such as playing card games or playing musical instruments are effective in improving brain concentration and memory. Listening to your favorite music also contributes to the activation of cognitive memory. Building positive social relationships can improve cognitive skills and reduce memory loss as you age.
2. A diet that nourishes the brain = A balanced diet is important to health for many reasons, including the aging brain. Many experts recommend the Mediterranean diet to promote brain health. This helps lower the risk of Alzheimer’s disease. The Mediterranean diet recommends eating plenty of vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans, whole grains, and extra virgin olive oil. Eat eggs, fish, poultry, etc. in moderation, but limit sugar, refined carbohydrates, and processed meat.
3. Nutritional supplements = You can consider nutritional supplements to get vitamins and minerals that are lacking in your diet. If you want to take nutritional supplements for brain health, we recommend that you talk to your healthcare professional. Popular vitamins and nutrients include:
Omega 3 = Salmon and trout are rich sources of omega 3 fatty acids. Scientists are studying the role of omega-3s in supporting memory and other cognitive functions.
Vitamin D = produced naturally when the skin is exposed to sunlight. Research is currently underway on the potential link between vitamin D and reduced risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
Vitamin B12 = It is known to have the ability to help improve mood and memory.
Ginseng = Researchers are studying the effects of ginseng on brain function, including memory.
4. Physical activity for a healthy brain = Regular physical activity by participating in dancing, biking, swimming and other active sports can improve both physical and mental health. A 2016 review found that regular exercise is effective in reducing depression. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends at least 150 minutes of aerobic exercise each week and muscle-strengthening exercise at least twice a week.
5. Rest for Mental Restoration = If you don’t get enough sleep, it’s difficult to think clearly, concentrate, and control your emotions. A 2019 study found that sleep has an important relationship with memory, including long-term retention in learning.
Reporter Lee Bo-hyun [email protected]
Copyrightⓒ ‘Honest knowledge for health’ Comedy.com (http://kormedi.com) / Unauthorized reproduction-redistribution prohibited
Source: 코메디닷컴 by kormedi.com.
*The article has been translated based on the content of 코메디닷컴 by kormedi.com. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!