The disease was common in the United Kingdom in the 1950s.
Poliovirus, which causes polio, has been found in wastewater samples in the UK capital, London. TASR has taken the report from the BBC’s website, which refers to the British health authorities.
In the last four months, the British Health Safety Agency (UKHSA) has found polio virus in samples taken at a wastewater treatment plant in the Beckton district of east London.
The disease was common in the United Kingdom in the 1950s, but was eliminated by 2003, the BBC said.Read also Study: Omicron subvariants BA.4 and BA.5 are resistant to both vaccine and disease antibodies
The UKHSA says the virus was probably brought to London by a person who was recently vaccinated abroad with a vaccine containing a live virus. According to the UKHSA, the risk of spreading the disease is low. However, parents should make sure that their children are fully vaccinated against the disease. Health authorities have notified the World Health Organization (WHO) of the virus in the wastewater.
“The majority of the UK population will be protected by childhood vaccinations, but in some communities with low vaccine coverage, some individuals may be at risk,” said UKHSA epidemiologist Vanessa Salib.Read also Scientists have discovered a new species of hairy crab that wears mushrooms like a hat
The vaccine with an inactive polio virus is part of a vaccination program for children in Britain, the BBC recalls. It is given to children three times before the age of one and then again at the age of three and 14. The level of vaccination with the first three doses in London is 86 percent, which is lower than 92 percent in the rest of the United Kingdom.
The researchers believe that the virus comes from a person who has been immunized abroad with a live polio virus that is given orally. It has not been used in Britain since 2004. Residues of the person’s intestinal virus have subsequently been detected in waste water.
In rare cases, this form of the virus can be transmitted to other people and mutated into polio from the vaccine, the BBC writes. It can also cause a serious course of the disease, including paralysis, in unvaccinated people.
Source: Pravda – Veda a technika by vat.pravda.sk.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Pravda – Veda a technika by vat.pravda.sk. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!