“Smart” watches, TVs, lamps and speakers. Yes, our homes are becoming more and more connected – but it is not completely risk-free.
A new dissertation by Joseph Bugeja, doctoral student at the Faculty of Technology and Society at Malmö University, shows that many of our smart units can collect sensitive information from us.
This, in turn, makes us vulnerable to intrusion.
– It’s easy to assume that you’re the only one who can follow your pets on the home surveillance cameras, and the only one who can ask your speaker to turn on your favorite songs. But these systems can be used by people outside the home and threaten your private sphere, Bugeja says News24.
Then an attack can be life threatening
And the integrity factor is not the only one to keep in mind – there are other types of intrusions that can cause even greater damage.
– A smart device can be manipulated over the internet. Imagine what could happen if such an attack knocks out your alarm system or your smoke alarm, Bugeja says.
The expert’s most important advice – how to protect yourself
It can be difficult to protect yourself from intrusion, but there are several steps you as an individual can take to maximize your protection.
Bugeja gives his most important tips:
- Do not install all devices on the same home network.
- Avoid or turn off features you do not think you will use.
- Keep your smart device up to date with the latest software, and follow the vendor’s installation recommendations.
- If your device can record audio or video, such as a microphone or camera, be sure to place it in an insensitive / non-intimate environment.
- If you do not need to have your device connected to the internet for it to work – do not have it.
SD exposed to hacker attack – member register may be stolen
So many people can spy on your webcam every day
Listen as Anonymous hacks Donald Trump’s phone
Source: nyheter24.se by nyheter24.se.
*The article has been translated based on the content of nyheter24.se by nyheter24.se. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!