Not all headaches are migraines, and migraines may not be associated with headaches at all.
However, if the head ache spasmodically and repeatedly, it is likely to be migraine-based.
– When the pressure in the ventricles of the brain rises or the meninges become inflamed, the body signals this with a headache. It is the sensible operation of an inherent alarm system. In migraine, however, the sensory nerves or muscle nerves are in many over-excited states, meaning the nervous system is too sensitive and causes false alarms, explains the neurologist. Matti Ilmavirta.
Content will continue after the ad
An overstretched central nervous system learns and is in pain
In migraine sufferers, the central nervous system responds faster than usual. It is also useful.
Content continues below the ad
– The nature of the nervous system is inherited. If it is more sensitive than usual, you will learn many things that require motivation faster than others. For example, it may be easier to learn to play an instrument. On the other hand, the nervous system is also prone to imbalance, Airflow describes.
In the light of modern science, migraine is understood to be due to overstimulation of the central nervous system, called central sensation.
Therefore, pain sensations are more sensitive than if the nervous system responded in a balanced way.
Strange symptoms of hypothalamic mixing
An area of the brain called the hypothalamus is the largest single regulator of nervous system function. It modifies the flow of messages to the senses. In migraines, it is usually somehow confused.
– The role of the hypothalamus in migraine is suggested by the fact that the seizure is triggered by a change in circadian and eating rhythms or hormonal cycles regulated by the hypothalamus.
Nervous system hypersensitivity can, at worst, have symptoms throughout the body in the form of various dysfunctions.
– Migraine may affect vision or hearing and affect the function or backbone of the heart, intestines and lungs. Common symptoms of migraine include fatigue or wakefulness, mood swings, and autonomic disorders. These symptoms come directly from the mixing of hypothalamic function.
The scene must be cut off immediately
The goal of good care is to reduce and alleviate migraines. It is essential to cut off the scenes in their very first moments. It often requires medication.
– If the symptoms are recognized immediately and they get passed by sleeping, then what is it. If, on the other hand, rest or sleep does not help, migraines should be treated with medication. Otherwise, it may become more difficult and chronic.
Over-the-counter ibuprofen is enough to break the seizure at the doses recommended in the package.
As migraine becomes more difficult, a single dose may need to be increased to 1,200 or 1,600 milligrams.
– They are safe amounts when the goal is to break the seizure with one or two doses of the drug, Ilmavirta assures.
If ibuprofen does not help, triptans and anti-nausea medicines developed as specific medicines for migraine are usually taken as add-on medicines.
The further the scene progresses, the worse the medications will help.
Prophylactic treatment stops severe migraines
In chronic migraine, there are more symptomatic days than asymptomatic ones.
An attempt can be made to break the cycle of illness with prophylactic treatment, which is continued for three and four months, after which it can be stopped many times.
Antihypertensives, antidepressants and antiepileptics have also been used traditionally to prevent migraines.
– Botulinum toxin injections are also helpful for many. Botulinum attenuates the underlying excitement of migraine. Injections can be given once every three months, Ilmavirta says.
The most recent are injectable CGRB inhibitors. The first of these, erenumab, came on the market a couple of years ago.
There are now two products available in Finland that, as the name implies, reduce the activity of the CGRB mediator in migraine. The CGRB inhibitor is injected under the skin once a month.
A dose of medicine purchased from a pharmacy costs about 500 euros, but you can receive a Kela reimbursement for it.
You can do a lot yourself
First, it’s a good idea to learn to identify which factors are exacerbating and triggering symptoms. Keeping a headache diary will help.
Various templates for the diary can be found, for example, on the Migraine Association’s website.
– When triggers are found, you should start avoiding them.
- Sleep and meals you should keep it regular, as well as outdoors a lot and move around regularly anyway.
- If stress clearly aggravates migraines, it can be good to calm the nervous system with relaxation exercises even in the middle of the work day. Relaxing and taking breaks will help you cope anyway.
- Some flavors or spices can trigger migraines in some. Then, of course, they should be avoided. However, there is no dietary treatment for migraines.
No matter how wild your symptoms are and they take you out of the game for days at a time, you shouldn’t despair because of a migraine.
– With the right care, there is always relief. Migraine is chronic in only three percent of those who suffer from it to the extent that it needs to be addressed with prophylactic medication, Ilmavirta reminds.
Expert: Matti Ilmavirta, neurologist, Terveystalo and Mehiläinen.
This article appeared in Good Health. As a subscriber, you can read all numbers free of charge from the digilehdet.fi service
Source: Hyvä Terveys by www.hyvaterveys.fi.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Hyvä Terveys by www.hyvaterveys.fi. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!