To run out of all fridge remnants before they get old is a constant ongoing struggle. A struggle that results in approximately 1.3 million tonnes of food being thrown away annually, in Sweden alone.
And some foods are a little extra difficult to consume – a Sifo survey commissioned by Willys shows.
Here is the product we throw away the most
On a list of the foods that Swedes claim to lose the most, the first place is combed home by a food we have all probably had to throw away at some point. The taco sauce, of course.
In the survey, the respondents had to answer which three foods they most rarely manage to use up.
Here are some examples from the top list:
- Opened taco sauce: 11 percent
- Bread edge: 10 percent
- Salad leftovers: 9 percent
- Brown-spotted banana: 7 percent
- Milk smooth: 7 percent
- Cheese ski slope: 6 percent
- Overripe avocado: 4 percent
- Extinct carrot: 4 percent
- Last slat in the jam jar: 4 percent
- Sad spice plant in pot: 1 percent
So you can waste less green
In addition to the top-ranked taco sauce, there are a lot of fruits and vegetables on the list. It wants News24 cure – and therefore took help of Kjell Ivarsson, food expert at the Swedish Farmers’ Association.
Are there any housewife tricks to reduce wastage?
– Fruit and vegetables are a fresh product that must be stored in a good and refrigerated way in the refrigerator. So the very best thing is to pick out a little at a time and not buy too much at a time, Ivarsson explains to Nyheter24.
“A positive covid effect”
The corona pandemic has claimed many victims and brought with it very little.
But regarding food waste, Ivarsson suspects that its effect may be of the positive kind.
– I can imagine that we will be able to see a positive covid effect on food waste. People are more at home and perhaps would rather peek in the fridge than run to the store, says Ivarsson and continues:
– But we have not had time to evaluate this effect yet.
Tip: Turn to the fridge
We can all become better at reducing food waste in our own household.
To make everything a little easier, Ivarsson has a tip – which works both during and after the pandemic.
– In general, it is the case that you need to think about what is in the fridge. Instead of going to the store with a recipe, turn to the fridge and think “what do I have?” and start from that, he says to Nyheter24.
Stop throwing away food! Do this instead
Zero Waste: This is the city that has zero household waste
Source: nyheter24.se by nyheter24.se.
*The article has been translated based on the content of nyheter24.se by nyheter24.se. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!