Children sit in front of a makeshift brick home in a refugee camp in Herat province in central Afghanistan. [이미지출처=연합뉴스]湲 蹂肄
[아시아경제 황수미 기자] Although the war in Afghanistan (Afghanistan) has ended for the first time in 20 years, there are a series of accidents in which children lose their lives as traces of the war remain.
According to Tolonews on the 2nd (local time), an old unexploded bomb exploded in the southern Afghan province of Helmand the day before, killing five children and injuring two others.
A Taliban official said the children between the ages of 3 and 12 appeared to have lost their lives when they suddenly exploded while searching for and playing with unexploded ordnance.
This is not the first time an unexploded ordnance has exploded in Afghanistan. On April 14, 2019, an unexploded bomb exploded in the eastern Ragman province, killing 7 children under the age of 15 and injuring 10 others. Also, on November 3, last year, at least 7 people, including children, were killed and 6 others were injured in the same accident in the northern province of Kunduz.
Although the war in Afghanistan ended in 20 years in August last year with the re-takeover of the Taliban, it is reported that unexploded bombs remain as traces of the long war.
In particular, the site of the US military base in Afghanistan was full of dangerous unexploded grenades, rockets and mortar shells. This is because US troops withdrew from Afghanistan last year and could not afford to dispose of unexploded ordnance at these shooting ranges.
As a result, dozens of children are said to have lost their lives or injured while playing near the site of a US shooting range.
The United Nations Mine Countermeasures Agency (UNMAS) is concerned that Afghan children are always at risk of unexploded ordnance while picking up scrap metal.
Meanwhile, in Ukraine, which has been invaded by Russia, it is predicted that it will take years to dismantle unexploded ordnance or mines even after the war is over.
Ukraine’s Interior Minister Denis Monastirsky said on the 18th of last month. In an interview with the Associated Press, ““A huge number of shells have been fired at Ukraine and many of them have not exploded,” he said.
Minister Monastirsky said “It will take years, not months, to get rid of them,” he predicts. therefore “After the war, we will need Western support to tackle this huge challenge,” he added.
Reporter Hwang Su-mi [email protected]
Source: 아시아경제신문 실시간 속보 by www.asiae.co.kr.
*The article has been translated based on the content of 아시아경제신문 실시간 속보 by www.asiae.co.kr. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!