Hungary gives in to Russia’s demands and pays its gas in rubles. “I want to be clear, I regret the decision,” said Energy Minister Khashayar Farmanbar (S).
The Minister of Energy emphasizes that Hungary has a strong dependence on Russian energy. Hungarian Foreign Minister Péter Szijjártó says that 85 percent of the country’s gas supplies come from Russia.
– It is basically every single house that is heated. They have put themselves in such a situation where they are extremely dependent on Russian gas and then they take this action. My wish, of course, is that the EU has as little exchange with Russia as possible, says Khashayar Farmanbar.
On Thursday, he participated in a meeting of the Riksdag’s Business Committee that dealt with Sweden’s imports of Russian energy. Sweden has already stopped imports of crude oil and imports of fossil natural gas are probably very small, according to the industry, but this can certainly not be determined.
Farmanbar: “It’s unfortunate”
The Minister of Energy thinks that Hungary should learn from Sweden when it comes to heating houses and the use of renewable energy.
– I think it is unfortunate that the EU has energy imports from Russia at all. I want to be clear, I regret that they (Hungary) are making that decision, but I also understand that all countries have different conditions.
Does this break the consensus within the EU?
– When it comes to countries’ individual actions, I have been very worried and warned that there are countries that will want a greater trade exchange with Russia, perhaps because they like Putin or because their households or industry are so dependent.
– The power of our sanctions is reflected in the EU-wide action. I am very concerned that the countries should stick to it, says Farmanbar.
More sanctions against Russia
The minister will attend an extra-EU summit on energy on Monday in Brussels. There are further discussions about new sanctions packages against Russia and we will look further into whether there are opportunities to mark origin and track Russian gas.
– I believe that sanctions are needed in all areas against Russia in this situation. A country that bombs children’s hospitals, tortures people, who commits such monstrous abuses, we must do our utmost to carry out sanctions against them.
Source: Nyteknik – Senaste nytt by www.nyteknik.se.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Nyteknik – Senaste nytt by www.nyteknik.se. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!