The men’s polo players overcame their big rivals, the Serbs

Wednesday, August 31, 2022 10:58 p.m

The men’s water polo team unexpectedly easily defeated the Olympic champion Serbia in the group stages of the European Water Polo Championship, so they are definitely in the quarter-finals.

European Water Polo Championship, men, round 2, group D:
Hungary-Serbia 16-7 (3-2, 4-0, 4-2, 5-3)
Hungarian goalscorers: Manhercz 4, Konarik, Angyal 3-3, Burián 2, Molnár, Nagy, Jansik, Fekete 1-1

The national team captain Zsolt Varga, who was appointed in July, made one change after the opening round victory over Slovenia: in addition to György Ágh, this time Viktor Vadovics was left out of the 13-man match squad, replaced by Ákos Konarik.

And the player who returned to Vasas from Szolnok started the goal production of the always prestigious rally with a long-range bomb. The Hungarians could not enjoy the lead for long, because the Serbians immediately equalized when the first round of the match had just ended. Although there were several unsuccessful attempts to score in the first few minutes, the Hungarian team did not give up trying, and it paid off, because Molnár scored a beautiful stray goal from the center position, which was answered by the rival from five meters away.

We finally took the lead

The Hungarians took the lead for the third time thanks to Burián’s escape, but the equalizer fell short, because the also thoroughly rejuvenated Serbian team – only three of Tokyo’s Olympic champions remained – hit the post twice.

In the second quarter, Manhercz made great use of the Serbs’ series of mistakes. First, he converted the second man advantage into a goal, with a classic solution, as he pulled the ball back to the short corner with his right hand on the left side, and then punished the opponent’s ball sale.

In the meantime, the defense worked great, the blocks were good, and if a shot got through the forest of hands, the ball usually hit the post. The Hungarian national team trailed by five goals until the break, because Nagy scored from the man advantage and Manhercz scored from a penalty.

The one-sided fight continued even after the turn, Konarik took advantage of another possession by Zalánki, winner of the Champions League with Pro Recco, and then team captain Jansik joined the scorers with a man advantage. The Serbians broke their deadlock after 14 minutes through Drasovic, and immediately took advantage of their next man-advantage, but before they could gain momentum, Konarik’s man-advantage goal and Vogel’s two spectacular saves cooled them off, and Angyal’s goal closed the quarter.

The last eight minutes started with another beauty prize, man advantage goal: Zalánki’s excellent pass was easily pulled into the goal by the waist-high Angyal from close range. The Serbians simply couldn’t find an antidote to the Hungarian man advantage, so they scored one goal after another, although in the fourth quarter they also started to attack effectively, but this was only enough to avoid the really embarrassing ten-goal difference.

Source: by

*The article has been translated based on the content of by If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!

*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.

*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!