The “Lockerbie” file is chasing Libya again… and a warning against the extradition of a final suspect

The Lockerbie case file has returned to the fore again in Libya, following accusations leveled by several parties against the government headed by Abdul Hamid al-Dabaiba regarding its intention to extradite the last suspect in the case, “Buajila al-Marimi”.


Last week, unknown parties kidnapped “Buajila Al-Marimi”, a former officer in the Libyan Foreign Intelligence Service, on the background of allegations regarding his role in the Lockerbie case, which sparked condemnation in political and human rights circles, in light of the silence of the government in Tripoli.


Political parties accused the unity government, headed by Abd al-Hamid al-Dabaiba, and his foreign minister, Naglaa al-Manqoush, of “agreing with the Americans to hand over Bouajila, in return for the unity government’s continuation in power.”


They claimed, “The Buajila case was the focus of meetings that Americans held with Dabaiba and Manqoush recently, as part of a deal to hand over the accused in exchange for Dabaiba remaining in his position as prime minister.”


Lockerbie case


The Lockerbie case is the crash of an American passenger plane over the village of Lockerbie in Scotland in 1988, killing all 259 people on board in addition to 11 residents of the village.

Read also: Accusing a Belgian prince of blackmailing the Libyan sovereign fund

After a political crisis between Libya and the United States for years, a Libyan citizen named Abd al-Basit al-Megrahi was convicted of the accident on January 31, 2001, which prompted Muammar Gaddafi’s regime in 2008 to accept a settlement and pay more than two billion dollars to the families of the victims to close the case.


In 2020, the case returned again, as US media said that the Ministry of Justice intends to charge a Libyan named Bouajila Massoud, suspected of making the bomb that exploded the plane, and will demand his extradition for trial.


broad refusal


The National Human Rights Committee in Libya issued a statement, in which it said that the Lockerbie case was closed according to the Claims and Claims Settlement Agreement concluded between the State of Libya and the United States of America during the year 2008, and held “the legal, national and moral responsibility for all parties that are trying to revive this file by hiding one of them.” Libyan citizens, led by the President of the Interim Government of National Unity and the Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation.


A member of the House of Representatives, Abdel Moneim Al-Arfi, said that the members of the House presented, during Monday’s session, a proposal condemning the Dbeiba government and holding it fully responsible for handing over the Libyan citizen, “Buajila Al-Marimi.”
Al-Arfi said, in press statements to the local “Lam” network, that “after the Lockerbie case file was closed permanently, why at this exact time is the Libyan citizen handed over to unknown parties,” noting that the House of Representatives will issue a statement about the kidnapping of Al-Marimi and demand that his fate be revealed. Whether it is in America or any other party.


The Supreme Council of State called for revealing the fate of “Al-Maryami” as well, and said in a statement that it refuses to reopen this file because it lacks any procedure or political or legal justifications, calling for “an end to this absurdity.”
The State Council also demanded “the competent security authorities to clarify the case of the citizen’s disappearance in these mysterious circumstances.”


The Bouajila family


In turn, the family of the Libyan citizen, Abu Ajila Masoud Al-Marimi, warned against reopening the Lockerbie case, and said that this would have dire consequences for the higher interests of the country, and that these attempts were made in order to reach illegal political goals at the expense of the interest of the country and the citizen.


In a statement, the family revealed the details of Bouajila’s kidnapping, holding the Libyan authorities responsible for his life, and demanded his immediate release and an end to these abuses.


The Abu Ajila family said that two Toyota cars carrying armed men in civilian clothes stormed their home in the Abu Salim area of ​​Tripoli at 1:30 a.m. on November 16, 2022.

Read also: Greek Foreign Minister: We have an agreement with Egypt to boycott the Dbeiba government

The statement indicated that the gunmen kidnapped the Libyan citizen, Abu Ajila Masoud Al-Marimi, and took him to an unknown destination, after assaulting him.


The statement continued: “Some political parties are trying to exploit the state of chaos and political division in order to raise the file of the Lockerbie case again, which was closed legally and politically under the agreement signed with the United States of America and Libya in 2008.” They deplore the silence of the Libyan authorities regarding what their son was subjected to, his abduction from his home and his enforced disappearance.


The statement held “the Libyan authorities fully responsible for the state of silence due to the government’s illegal actions and practices outside the judicial system, in the event that he is extradited to any foreign country.”


A statement to the Libyan Justice


For its part, the Libyan Ministry of Justice affiliated with the unity government commented in a statement, saying: “This issue has been closed. It cannot be raised again and cannot be returned to. The Lockerbie case file has been completely closed.” Meanwhile, Libya’s representative to the International Criminal Court, Ahmed al-Jehani, said. , “Reopening the financial file of the Lockerbie case is unrealistic and not possible, given that this file was closed under the agreement signed between Libya and the United States of America in 2008.”


Solemn silence


So far, there has been no comment from Dabaiba or the security and military services on the matter, or the reasons for Bouajila Al-Marimi’s arrest. “Arabi 21” tried to obtain a comment from the government spokesperson, but it did not receive any responses.

However, the Minister of State for Economic Affairs in the government of Al-Dabaiba, Salama Al-Ghawil, said in statements that there is not a single Libyan citizen who would accept that the Lockerbie file be reopened.


He ruled out, in a statement to “Erm News”, the occurrence of this matter, especially after the high price that the Libyan people paid for this file, and what they offered in order to close it.


He added, “I believe that the world was a witness to the closure of this file, and no one, no matter how daring, can open it, because the file was closed, and compensation was paid.” Pointing out that the Libyan people and all national forces will unite and announce their absolute rejection of re-engagement in this file.


Source: عربي21 by arabi21.com.

*The article has been translated based on the content of عربي21 by arabi21.com. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!

*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.

*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!