The hearing of witnesses to the shooting of Lihula began in court

Mikk Tarraste in court. Photo: Malle-Liisa Raigla

The trial in Pärnu County Court continued on Monday last summer in Lihula with the hearing of witnesses over Mikk Tarraste, who is accused of murdering two people.

The court heard the testimony of six witnesses on Monday and will continue to hear witnesses in the proceedings on March 8. The hearing of the tares is scheduled for April 5.

In a trial that began last Monday, Tarraste, 33, pleaded guilty and agreed to all civil lawsuits against him. At the same time, he did not admit to hiding crimes and fleeing the crime scene. Tarraste added that he would stick to his earlier public regret and apology.

Last Thursday, a version of what happened in Lihula last summer, told at the court hearing in Tarraste, was published, starting from the time he arrived at the country house and ending with his detention.

Tarraste drove to Tuudi’s summer home on June 5 last year and took his firearms with him, as he planned to go to the shooting range. He said he liked walking around because it was a relaxation for him. He was undergoing training to handle a weapon.

When he woke up on the morning of June 6, Tarraste felt a headache because he had a hangover. At times he drank a few bottles of wine, then fell asleep again, and when he woke up, he felt sober and decided to go to the store.

According to Tarraste, before arriving at Lihula Olerex, Tarraste himself was late in a right turn, which is why he drove over the service station of safety islands and green areas and didn’t realize that there were two cars crashing there, he noticed a crack in the glass. Now Tarraste realized the danger of being deprived of both a driver’s license and a weapon. Unable to see anyone, he decided to leave and headed back to his summer home in Kopli Farm.

Tarraste has told investigators that when he finally landed in the ditch on the side of the car, the motorcyclist standing near him shouted, “Stop, I’m shooting!” Tarraste considered it probable that the cyclist would shoot him and took a pistol from the passenger seat, pointed it at the cyclist and fired several shots. He immediately fell, and according to Tarraste himself, he realized that he was dead.

According to the evidence presented at the previous hearings by Prosecutor Gardi Anderson, the motorcyclist who chased Tarraste fired three shots at Virgot Rägastiku, the last two of which hit him in the head. The last shot was taken from a distance of less than one and a half meters, and the evidence also indicates that by the time the shot was fired at the other’s head, the criminal had taken off the victim’s helmet.

After let Tarraste guess that the condition is bad because “no one believes my version anyway”. He left, grabbing two guns and a backpack from the car. He forgot one weapon along with the ammunition.

Then, according to him, the turn signals flashed away and Tarraste realized that the police had reached the motorcyclist. He shot at them, but doesn’t know why. About half an hour after the motorcyclist was killed on a gravel road, about 800 meters from the murder scene, he saw a car meeting in full light. “I thought the police,” he told investigators. That’s how he opened fire, with the aim of stopping the vehicle so that the engine would break. It wasn’t until he saw the taillights that he realized it was an old car and didn’t belong to the police.

At the same time, Ziguli’s bullets showed that the shooter was not only targeting the engine. As the car moved on, Tarraste thought there were no serious consequences. According to him, his headache was accompanied by a heartbeat and dry mouth.

Tarraste drove by car to the road to his summer home and saw the police arriving at the intersection. He thought that his identity was already known to the police, as well as that he had powerful weapons. He feared he would be shot. So he decided to let himself – so that the police would hide in the ditch. According to the sounds, he sensed that an additional force had arrived for the police, apparently fast responders. He opened fire again, but can’t explain why.

According to Tarraste, he wanted to go to the summer house, drink full and wait for his detention. In the darkness of the night, however, he decided to betray himself, fearing that he would be shot when he was sought in the morning. He later told officials he saw sniper rifles being taken into a police car during his detention and concluded that the police were planning to shoot him.

Source: Lääne Elu by

*The article has been translated based on the content of Lääne Elu by If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!

*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.

*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!