The Turkish army’s ground operation in Syria will begin “soon God willing”, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced on Tuesday. “We flew over the terrorists for a few days with our aircraft and our drones. God willing, we will eliminate them soon with our soldiers, guns and tanks,” Erdogan said during a speech in the northeast of the country.
Turkish air force on Sunday launched a series of raids against Kurdish positions in northern Syria and Iraq, killing at least 37 people, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (OSDH).
The PKK in the line of fire
The Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) and its allies in the People’s Protection Units (YPG) are accused by Ankara of having ordered the attack which killed six people and injured 81 on 13 November in Istanbul. Both have denied any involvement.
“We responded to this vicious attack that claimed the lives of six innocent people, including children, by eradicating terrorist organizations in Iraq and northern Syria,” Erdogan continued. “We know who arms, who encourages the terrorists,” he insisted, without further details.
The head of state had already reiterated on Monday his threats of ground intervention in northern Syria, from which came rocket fire which left two dead and nearly thirty wounded in Turkish territory.
Russia calls for “restraint”
Russia said on Tuesday it hoped Turkey would exercise “restraint” and refrain from “any excessive use of force” in Syria, where Ankara is carrying out airstrikes against Kurdish fighters.
“We hope to convince our Turkish colleagues to refrain from resorting to excessive use of force on Syrian territory” to “avoid the escalation of tensions,” Alexander Lavrentiev, Russian President Vladimir Putin’s special envoy to the press, told the press. Syria.
Turkey’s air force on Sunday launched Operation Sword Claw, a series of raids that targeted PKK (Kurdistan Workers’ Party) and YPG (People’s Protection Units) positions in northern Iraq and Syria. According to a report by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (OSDH), 37 people lost their lives in these raids.
Erdogan has been threatening an invasion since May
“Russia has for months (…) done everything possible to prevent any large-scale ground operation,” Lavrentiev said in Astana, the capital of Kazakhstan, where a tripartite meeting between Russia, Turkey and Iran on Syria. These three countries are major players in the war in Syria, which has claimed nearly half a million lives since 2011. Mr. Lavrentiev called for “continuation of work with all stakeholders to find a peaceful solution, including on the Kurdish question”.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has been threatening since May to launch a new military operation in northern Syria, and the attack that took place on November 13 in Istanbul, immediately attributed by Ankara to the PKK and the YPG, precipitated the events.
“We will make those who disturb us on our territory pay,” Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Monday, citing “consultations” underway to decide “how much power should be engaged by our ground forces”.
Source: Le Progrès : info et actu nationale et régionale – Rhône, Loire, Ain, Haute-Loire et Jura | Le Progrès by www.leprogres.fr.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Le Progrès : info et actu nationale et régionale – Rhône, Loire, Ain, Haute-Loire et Jura | Le Progrès by www.leprogres.fr. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!