The gate of Charles VI is being reconstructed on Kalemegdan

Illustration (photo: Pixabay.com)

A tender has been announced for the reconstruction of the gate of Charles VI on Kalemegdan, and in addition to the reconstruction of the existing building of the Gate in the Lower Town of the Belgrade Fortress with conservation and restoration of the central passage, side rooms 1 and 3 and the associated brick facades, as well as northeastern and southwestern stone facades will be restored.

On the stone facades of the Gate of Charles VI the stone blocks are very damaged, while the brick façade walls are scattered and partially demolished. According to the published project, The gate is in a very bad condition, and the degree of damage to individual stone blocks is so great that it threatens the static stability of the gate.

This Gate was built in the period from 1717 to 1739 as part of a major reconstruction of the Belgrade Fortress.. After the Turkish conquest of Belgrade again, in 1740, in accordance with the provisions of the Belgrade Peace, a large number of buildings and elements of fortifications built in the Baroque reconstruction were demolished, while the gate was preserved.

In the short period of Austrian rule again, at the end of the 18th century, the gate was photographed and shown on detailed plans. The designer of the gate has not been determined yet, but the concept, architectural solution and treatment of the main facades of the gate indicate an exceptional architect.. The stylistic design of this gate is closer to the German Baroque than to the Viennese architecture of that time.

The gate was used by military crews during the 18th and 19th centuries, and after the entry of the Serbian army into the fortress in 1867, the gate was named the Gate of Prince Eugene and that name lasted a long time.

During the Allied bombing in 1944, the gate was hit by a direct hit, which led to the demolition of part of the southwestern side room 4, and the entire gate was significantly scattered. For the next two decades, until the mid-1960s, the gate remained in a dilapidated state, and In 1964, the first research works were carried out on the gate, and in the following years, partial repairs were made.

The tender for the reconstruction lasts until October 22.


Source: Gradjevinarstvo.rs – VESTI by www.gradjevinarstvo.rs.

*The article has been translated based on the content of Gradjevinarstvo.rs – VESTI by www.gradjevinarstvo.rs. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!

*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.

*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!