The difficult course of covid increases the risk of death in the following year – Man – Science and technology

Patients who have experienced severe covid-19 are about twice as likely to die in the following year as people who have not been infected with coronavirus at all or have had only a mild course of the disease.

This follows from a study published in a professional journal Frontiers in Medicine. According to the researchers, the higher probability of death is probably due to the fact that a severe course of covid can significantly weaken the overall health of the infected person.

The researchers monitored the electronic health records of 13,638 people who underwent a coronavirus PCR test at the University of Florida. A total of 178 of them overcame a severe course of the disease, 246 experienced only mild or moderate symptoms, and the rest passed a negative test. All positive testers recovered from the disease, and the study authors then continued to monitor their health.

Read also Study: The risk of hospitalization is lower with omicron than with delta

The research showed that people who survived the severe course of the disease had a significantly higher risk of dying within the next year. The risk increased mainly in people under 65 years of age. Only 20 percent of reported deaths caused typical post-19 complications, such as respiratory failure. The remaining 80 percent were caused by causes that are not commonly associated with SARS-CoV-2 virus infection.

In addition, most of the registered deaths occurred long after the cure of the infection, so according to the researchers, it is possible that their family and doctors did not associate them with covidom-19.

The results suggest that people who were treated for a severe course of the disease worsened their overall health, making them more vulnerable to other health problems.

Koronavírus / 2019-nCoV / Read also Oxford University and AstraZeneca are working on a omicron vaccine

“A previous study we conducted showed that patients with a severe illness who recovered from it had a significantly higher risk of hospitalization in the next six months,” said Arch Mainous of the University of Florida. “We have expanded the new study to look at the probability of death in the next 12 months,” he added. “Now that we know there is a significant risk of death from something that can be considered an unrecognized complication after covide, we need to be even more vigilant,” the scientist said.

According to Mainous, it is important that people do not take risks and do not rely on hospital treatment, but use all preventive measures that will help them prevent a severe course of the disease, such as vaccination against covid-19.


Source: Pravda – Veda a technika by vat.pravda.sk.

*The article has been translated based on the content of Pravda – Veda a technika by vat.pravda.sk. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!

*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.

*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!