When you quit smoking, recovery begins in 20 minutes, and more healthy years await.
The combination of nicotine and tar is strongly addictive, but you should strive to be free. The cleansing of the body starts almost immediately!
- 20 minutes The hands and feet feel warm because the peripheral blood circulation intensifies. Blood pressure normalizes, heart rate stabilizes.
- 1 day Carbon dioxide inhaled in cigarette smoke disappears from the body and the lungs begin to be cleaned.
- 2 days The sense of smell and taste improve. Nicotine leaves the body.
- 3 days Breathing becomes easier when the bronchial constriction and mucus decreases. Cough and phlegm increase within 1–2 months.
- 1 week Skin color and potency improve when the blood circulation intensifies.
- 3 weeks The physical withdrawal symptoms subside because the neurons are released from their craving for nicotine. The feeling of stress is relieved and the quality of sleep improves.
- 1-2 months Walking and running improve, energy increases. When the condition increases, viral flus do not strike as easily as before.
- 3 months The psychological and social dependence begins to ease and cigarettes are not on the mind all the time.
- 6 months Smoking cough and breathing difficulties are a thing of the past.
- 1 year The risk of coronary artery disease is halved.
- 5 years The risk of sudden death and lung cancer is substantially reduced. The risk of developing type 2 diabetes drops to the level of non-smokers.
- 10 years The risk of having a stroke returns to the level of a non-smoker. Among other things, the need for many medicines decreases.
Here’s to many more healthy years!
Expert: Hanna Ollila, VTM, smoking prevention expert, THL.
Content continues after the ad
This article has appeared in Hyvä tervey magazine. As a subscriber, you can read all issues free of charge from the digilehdet.fi service.
The content continues below the ad
Follow us on Facebook
Source: Hyvä Terveys by www.hyvaterveys.fi.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Hyvä Terveys by www.hyvaterveys.fi. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!