Web editor Patrik Lundin has been out skidding in the snow in the areas around Arlanda and Uppsala with Toyota’s hydrogen car Mirai.
Hi Patrik, how are you?
– It’s good, there are worse places to be than in a Mirai, I can state!
Nice! What were your first impressions of it?
– That it is large. It’s a majestic piece and it’s pretty good looking, even in real life. But, what I have to tell you is that Mirai will not be able to buy or lease at all in Sweden.
So, why then?
– Because it will instead be part of Toyota’s new car sharing service Kinto Share. By the summer, there will be five cars available in the service’s car pool. Then you will be able to rent a Mirai for SEK 150 per hour and SEK 2 per kilometer driven. It will also be possible to rent per month, but the cost of that is not shared by Toyota yet.
Does it have anything to do with the infrastructure, there are only four hydrogen gas stations in Sweden?
– Yes, that’s exactly why you do it. There is hardly any infrastructure and therefore there is no point for them to sell the car. That is why Toyota does this instead of allowing as many people as possible to feel what it is like to drive a hydrogen car without having to worry about the infrastructure.
– It is a pity in fact that Mirai is not available for purchase because it is very comfortable on long journeys. It is a very cozy car to drive!
Sounds like it’s a bit like a Lexus?
– Yes, it’s a bit of a Lexus feeling actually. It is more Lexus than, for example, C-HR, you could say
Any other detail you noted?
– That it is rear-wheel drive with the engine at the rear and an ESP system that can be switched off completely! It’s possible to skid with this racker quite properly.
Cool! How are the driving characteristics?
– It is soft and comfortable, a bit rocky like that. The comfort makes me feel that it is a pity that it is not available as an combustion or electric car so that it could be sold here.
– Regarding performance, there is no electric car pressure, it even feels quite dull if you drive other electric cars. It does 0-100 km / h in 9.2 seconds so there is no rocket like that. The power is 182 horsepower and 300 Newton meters, which is more than its predecessor, but then it has a lot of weight to lug around as well.
No wide wires, then?
– On slippery surfaces it goes well, but on dry asphalt it does not really have the strength, no.
How do you think the hydrogen future feels then?
– If it’s like the Toyota Mirai, it feels hopeful. Had it been possible to refuel it in many places, it would have been a super-alternative. According to the trip computer, the car has pulled an average of 1.35 kg / 100 km now. With that number, the range of a tank becomes approximately 415 km, not too bad in the winter anyway. The factory task is otherwise 650 km.
– It will be possible to buy Mirai in Germany because their infrastructure is more developed. There are around 80 gas stations as it looks now. Toyota itself hopes that there will be more hydrogen buses and trucks in Europe soon so that the network is expanded. Then there will be a business case for Mirai. They themselves have no plans to do as Tesla and build their own network of hydrogen gas stations. The costs are simply too great.
A detailed test run report with a lot of technical information and everything about the car’s strengths and weaknesses, you will be able to read soon in a future number of auto motor & sport, and here on the site for you who are a Premium Member!
What a shame, I would have loved to buy a Mirai!
Source: Senaste nytt från auto motor & sport by www.mestmotor.se.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Senaste nytt från auto motor & sport by www.mestmotor.se. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!