234 new deaths with confirmed covid-19 have been reported in Sweden, the Public Health Agency announces. The authority fears that a new peak in the spread of infection may come in the coming weeks. “It is extremely important that we now follow the basic advice,” says state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell.
A total of 9,667 people with confirmed covid-19 have now died in Sweden. A total of 506,866 people in Sweden have been confirmed infected with covid-19.
The number of cases of covid-19 continues to increase rapidly globally.
– Large parts of Europe still have a fairly extensive spread, at levels that we have not had before, says Anders Tegnell at Tuesday’s joint press conference.
In Sweden, on the other hand, it seems that the number of cases has been slightly less in recent weeks – which may be due to less testing over Christmas. It may also be that the number of cases has fallen slightly. It is not uncommon for, for example, flu cases to fall during Christmas weekends, for example, but it also means that there is a new peak in the spread of infection afterwards, says Tegnell.
– The coming weeks will be completely critical.
– It is extremely important that we now follow the basic advice. And above all that you do not create a lot of new contacts, for example by coming back to work and meeting a lot of people that you have not done for a period.
At present, 60 percent of the country’s IVA sites are occupied by covid-19 patients and none of the regions see any expected improvement in care pressure in the next two weeks, says Johanna Sandwall, head of emergency preparedness at the National Board of Health and Welfare.
– In total, there are still more covid-19 patients in care now than they did at some point in the spring. We have a heavily burdened situation in healthcare, she says.
The national available IVA capacity is about 20 percent, but it varies across the country.
To date, approximately 80,000 people have been vaccinated in Sweden. This is about half of the doses that have been delivered. This is probably due to the fact that many regions have chosen to save for a second dose, because they were worried that deliveries of the vaccine would be delayed, says Tegnell.
– But something like this has not been seen in Sweden.
– We are now clear that the regions should use as many doses as possible and trust that the deliveries will come as they should.
High death rates in nursing homes
Once again, high death rates are seen in nursing homes and especially there it is judged that the vaccine can have a dramatic effect, says Tegnell.
What can we learn from Denmark, which has vaccinated much faster?
– The difference is quite obvious that many Swedish regions have saved doses, this has not been done in Denmark, Anders Tegnell answers.
Since November, there has also been a significant increase in those who say that they will probably or probably be vaccinated, almost 8 out of 10 state this, according to MSB’s latest Kantar Sifo survey.
The same survey shows that Swedes’ confidence in the Public Health Agency, the regions, MSB and the government is declining. Confidence in healthcare, on the other hand, is still high.
The new deaths in the authority’s statistics have in most cases occurred several days earlier, and the deaths that have occurred in the near future are not included due to delays in the reporting. This means that the daily update shows reported death rates, not the death rate for that particular day.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Nyteknik – Senaste nytt by www.nyteknik.se. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!