Do you never use the Google Assistant, and do you not intend to? Then it is more convenient to turn off the voting aid. This is how you turn off Google Assistant, disconnect it from the home button, and even remove it altogether.
Disable Google Assistant on your Android smartphone
The Google Assistant can be incredibly useful, but not for everyone. Maybe you don’t like talking to your smartphone, you don’t see the added value of it or you are concerned about your privacy. To turn off the Google Assistant:
- Open the Assistant app on your smartphone and tap the compass icon at the bottom right to activate the voice assistant (for the last time);
- Press the Account button at the top right and choose ‘Settings’;
- Choose the second tab ‘Assistant’ and scroll down;
- Select your phone under ‘Assistant devices’;
- Slide the switch so that the box turns gray.
From now on, Google Assistant is disabled on your Android smartphone. So when you say “Hey Google” from now on, nothing will happen. In step 4 you can also disable the voice assistant for other devices, such as your Google Home.
Also read: Google Assistant and your privacy: everything you need to know
Remove Google Assistant from home button
It is not always possible to completely remove the Google Assistant. However, you can limit the voting aid as much as possible. For example, on many Android smartphones, the home button is linked to the Google Assistant. Fortunately, you can link the homebutton to another app:
- Open the settings menu of your Android;
- Go to ‘Apps and notifications’, scroll down and press the down arrow at ‘Advanced options’;
- Choose ‘Default apps’ and tap ‘Assistance and voice input’;
- Select ‘App for assistance’ and indicate which app you want to use when you press the home button for a long time. You can of course also leave the button blank by not linking an app.
Remove Google Assistant completely
Do you never use the assistant at all and do you not intend to? Then you might as well remove the app completely. Unfortunately, this is not possible on every Android smartphone, but you can uninstall updates. As a result, the voice assistant takes up less storage space. You do this like this:
- Open the Play Store on your Android phone;
- Tap the hamburger menu at the top left and choose ‘My apps and games’;
- Find the Google Assistant under the tab with installed apps;
- Select the voice assistant and choose ‘Delete’.
Be careful, because removing updates affects the operation and stability of the Google Assistant. If you plan to use the app, it is therefore wise to download all updates first.
Also interesting: Tip: this is how you delete conversations from the Google Assistant
More about the Google Assistant
Source: Android Planet by www.androidplanet.nl.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Android Planet by www.androidplanet.nl. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!