This is an ad. It is not written by Ny Teknik’s editorial staff.
As the number of electric cars increases, the focus shifts from the users’ user phase to their production journey. Therefore, it is a future challenge for electric car manufacturers to ensure the car’s entire life cycle.
– When vehicle manufacturers must look at the car’s entire life cycle, the choice of manufacturing material can play a major role, says Jonas Adolfsson, who works with business and project development in mobility at SSAB.
The Swedish steel manufacturer SSAB’s range of Docol steel is delivered to many of the world’s car brands. But a challenge for future car manufacturing is that the steel industry today is a major source of global carbon dioxide emissions. Therefore, Jonas Adolfsson believes that an environmental change in the steel industry must take place to make car production really sustainable.
The world’s first fossil-free steel
To enable the necessary climate journey that the steel industry faces, SSAB together with LKAB and Vattenfall have developed a revolutionary production process, Hybrit, which can produce the world’s first fossil-free steel, where the only by-product of manufacturing technology becomes water and thus facilitate pure electric car production.
– As one of the most environmentally efficient steel companies, we believe that it is in our hands to create an environmentally friendly steel. Our goal is to lead the industry to a completely carbon dioxide-free future, Jonas Adolfsson explains and continues:
– The end product will be the same – with exactly the same properties as today’s high-quality Docol steel. The steel has the same type of formability and is just as strong and safe. The only difference is that the production takes place with fossil-free electricity and biofuels.
Completely sustainable value chain
There is already great interest in SSAB’s fossil-free steel among many car manufacturers and their subcontractors. The goal is to be able to offer the environmentally friendly steel to the market by 2026 and to only produce steel by the fossil-free technology by 2045.
– It is high time for electric car suppliers to review their material choices and how much carbon dioxide emissions they cause, what manufacturing method they have and how they can reduce their climate footprint, says Jonas Adolfsson and adds:
– By already today choosing recyclable steel in combination with manufacturing methods that require lower energy consumption, you have a good foundation. With the fossil-free steel, we will then be able to provide the vehicle manufacturers with a completely sustainable value chain, which will become increasingly important as the authorities’ and the market’s demands on the manufacturers increase.
Docol advanced high-strength steels are supplied by SSAB to vehicle manufacturers in a global market. The high strength / weight ratio means that you can use thinner steel without sacrificing strength – to get lower weight, higher fuel efficiency, better driving characteristics and lower costs.
Hybrit is an initiative started in 2016 by SSAB, LKAB and Vattenfall to revolutionize the steel industry. With the HYBRIT technology, SSAB aims to replace the coking coal, which is traditionally needed for ore-based steel production, with fossil-free electricity and hydrogen. The result will be the world’s first fossil – free steelmaking technology, with virtually no carbon dioxide emissions. The goal is to reduce Sweden’s carbon dioxide emissions by 10 percent.
This is an advertisement. It is not written by Ny Teknik’s editorial staff. In case you have comments on the content of the ad, please contact the advertiser.
Do you want to advertise or get in touch with Ny Teknik’s commercial editorial staff? Send an email to [email protected]
Source: Nyteknik – Senaste nytt by www.nyteknik.se.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Nyteknik – Senaste nytt by www.nyteknik.se. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!