In September 2020, the site published several materials on the Sberbank conference, at which the ideas of an ecosystem and all-Russian IT dominance were voiced. Chef then wrote good material about the upcoming confrontation of ecosystems.
The battle is still in full swing, but, in my opinion, the victorious direction of Sberbank has clearly been outlined. Sberbank has a very simple and understandable advantage: the company makes a better and more versatile product. I will explain using the example of a TV sent for review.
Table of Contents
Why Sberbank wins
I like that, unlike competitors, Sber thinks broadly. To some extent, it is similar to the Microsoft strategy, which says that they have no competitors, but only partners, and the user should be comfortable using services and applications where he wants.
I look at the Sber TV remote and see a separate button for Kinopoisk. And this is the main video service of the competitor. I shift my gaze to the promotional sticker, and there, in large print, “installing apk applications” is highlighted. And even Android TVs do not advertise such opportunities, because Google is not interested in the user going beyond Google Play.
Today, for the first time turning on any equipment, from a PC to a fitness bracelet, you usually expect a tedious registration or authorization procedure. All companies certainly want the user to create an account. Without an account, the device will either not start at all, or it will be severely cut off in functions.
Sber TV has a “Skip” button everywhere. And at the same time, the user will not be limited in any way. Despite the fact that there is no account, you can even download applications from the application store (for some applications it will be indicated that authorization is required, but most can be downloaded anyway) or communicate with voice assistants.
Another example is games. Salyut TV is ready to work with any gamepads that support Bluetooth. We are talking about both AAA blockbusters that are launched through the SberPlay cloud, and about casual toys from the app store.
Unexpectedly, but it was SberDevices who made a universal and optimal OS for the Russian consumer. Everything we love: no restrictions and room for great opportunities. You usually expect similar features from open-source community products. But unlike “open” products, SberDevices has full support with regular updates.
With Salyut TV, there is no feeling that they have “sold” a marketing product, the only task of which is to squeeze more money out of you.
About the new line of smart TVs Sber
I decided to briefly talk about the entire line presented in April, since a non-flagship QLED model was sent for the test.
SberDevices has launched several new TVs. In total, the company, by the way, has 21 TVs in its lineup, and prices start at 10,990 rubles for a 32-inch model.
They sent me a Sber SDX-50U4010B, but I recommend that you first of all pay attention to the Sber SDX-50UQ5230T. These TVs have identical diagonals, but if the version in the review has Direct LED backlighting, then the second model has a QLED screen. And the price is only 8 thousand more. I say “total” because Sber has introduced the most affordable TV with a QLED screen on the market. QLED, or quantum dot light-emitting diode, means a substrate of nanocrystals (quantum dots) that makes the image brighter and the colors richer.
And visually, the TV looks more interesting: titanium color, frameless design, and everywhere metal is used instead of plastic. Watch TV you can here.
Main technical characteristics
- Screen: 55″, 4K UltraHD 3840 × 2160 dots, 16×9 aspect ratio, 300 nits, anti-glare, DirectLED
- Memory: operational 1.5 GB, built-in 8 GB
- Digital TV: DVB-T/T2, DVB-C (MPEG2/4), DVB-S/S2
- Analog TV: PAL, SECAM DK, I, BG, L
- Connection: Wi-Fi 5 ГГц, Bluetooth LE 5.0
- Sound: 20 W
- Dimensions: 1244 × 722 × 81 mm, weight 11.5 kg
- 2 × USB
- 3 × HDMI
Appearance and first use
A large box depicts popular Russian streaming services, the promise of being able to watch more than a hundred TV channels and install applications.
A thick layer of foam protects the TV from impacts. The TV itself inside the box is wrapped in a bag. And the package has handles! You will laugh, but this is rare. Few people think about how the buyer will get the TV.
TV assembly is elementary: you just need to screw the plastic legs. For some reason, there are two fastening zones on the case at once – narrower and wider. The TV is stable in both cases, but the instructions emphasize that the mount should be wide. I didn’t like the legs, by the way. They are plastic and wobble a little. In principle, a trifle, because I set the TV and forgot.
All connectors are located on one side. There are 3 HDMIs for 4K connections, a couple of USB ports, an Ethernet port for wired internet (although the TV supports Wi-Fi 5), as well as audio outputs, satellite TV connectors, an antenna output and a slot for a CAM module.
With the exception of the legs, there are no questions about the build quality of the TV. All details are tightly fitted, the materials look good.
When I first turned it on, I liked the unobtrusiveness of the system. So, I did not enter data for the Salyut TV account (an unthinkable thing!), But only indicated the Wi-Fi password. The nice thing is that the TV supports Wi-Fi 5.0 GHz and Bluetooth 5.0 LE.
Ideally, in order to have access to all the features of the TV, you will have to create an account. Do not forget that Sberbank has an ecosystem and, for example, a TV can be asked to order products by voice, but this cannot be done without an account.
Screen, sound and desktop
The TV has a 4K screen with Direct LED backlight. I think you will like the screen. It is surprisingly high quality and capable of displaying 1.07 billion colors.
And thanks to Direct LED backlighting, the screen has no light. I suppose that SberDevices worked on this moment separately, since most of the pre-installed screensavers are flowers and fruits on a black background. If the black wasn’t black enough or there were highlights, then the pictures would look sad. With Direct LED lighting, the flowers look alive.
The screen brightness level is standard 300 nits. And this is enough, since the screen has a powerful anti-reflective coating. For an example, look at the two pictures below. On one (on the right) a protective film is still pasted, so that the lamp and I are clearly reflected on the screen. In the second photo, the protective film has been removed. And from the lamp there was only a small reflection.
Salyut TV has the liveliest home screen among other platforms. From unaccustomed eyes run up: here you have news, and traffic jams, and weather, and new games, and films with programs. However, the designers managed to achieve overall harmony, so getting lost in the intricacies of the menu will not work.
I’ll note to myself that I liked that after turning on the TV is immediately ready “for battle”: all the necessary services and applications are already installed: VLC, RUTUBE on a separate button on the remote control, but they didn’t forget about YouTube, a fitness app, grocery delivery, radio, music, etc.
The peculiarity of the Sbera TV is that it is focused on voice control. It is expected that the user will constantly contact the voice assistant, and he, in turn, will respond.
This is probably one of the reasons why the TV did a great job on sound. First, there is a solid volume margin. Even at the average level, the TV is loud. Secondly, the sound quality is excellent. It is felt that the speakers were tuned for modern films and games with an abundance of explosions and action: good low frequencies and detailed mids. Of course, the built-in speakers will not surpass the soundbar, but still the sound is good.
Points will share my impressions of the TV.
- Salyut TV is used as the operating system. This is an in-house development by SberDevices, which has the ability to run apk applications from Android TV.
- I liked that the TV was pre-installed with all the basic applications that you might need. So, there is a VLC video player, streaming services, including Kinopoisk, Kion, and even the new VK Video.
- A partnership has been concluded with Okko. At the start, they give 6 months of Okko Optimum subscription for 1 ruble.
- Even if you do not enter account information, the TV will allow you to install applications from the store.
- Salyut TV has a fairly extensive list of its own applications that work on the principle of instant launch without installation (or, perhaps, there is an installation, it’s just fast). At the same time, the applications are not anyhow. For example, there is a virtual assistant for passing job interviews. Vacancies, of course, are fashionable – product manager, designer, and so on – but still interesting and useful. The application listens to the answers, gives advice and recommendations.
- Lots of other fast paced games. From the usual Wordle to racing games that you can play with your friends on the same screen. By the way, this is a well thought out story. Simple competitive games will definitely be popular in social gatherings.
- By the way, for children there is a separate application “Children’s Room”. The assortment is typical: from toys to fairy tales. Among the games and children’s videos there are inserts with educational content. For example, why people live longer than monkeys, why Mars (this is such a planet) is red, do dolphins have ears. Although I am not a child, it is addictive, because after each answer, SalyutTV offers the following curious question.
- To fully appreciate the full potential of the “Children’s Room”, it is best to master the commands. So, in addition to direct commands (“Turn on the cartoon such and such”), you can simply say: “I’m bored” – and see what “Salute” will offer. So the assistant can answer hundreds of different questions, from “What does a trombone sound like” to “How do chameleons change color” and “Can a teenager be depressed at 12?” (I got the last example from the instructions for commands).
- Of the curious moments – end-to-end voice search, that is, when requested, all platforms are shown where the film or series is available. You can search not only movies or series, but also music and YouTube videos. Sber says it searches a database of more than 400,000 units across nine online movie theaters and video services. For example, in the photo below, the search has collected all the cartoons of the Prostokvashino series on one screen.
- The TV also has a built-in browser. From my experience, I can say that it is rarely needed. But if you need it, you’ll be glad you have it. There are few good browsers for smart TVs.
- In moments when the TV is not used for its intended purpose, it can perfectly replace a smart speaker. Exactly the same way you can ask him to turn on the radio or music. The Hi-Fi service “Zvuk” is responsible for the music. And the weather forecast can float on the screen as a screensaver.
- Through the TV, you can control the “smart” home. Sber is also universal in this regard, the smart home platform supports many devices from partner manufacturers.
- Using my own example, I can say that Sber is changing the classic scenario of interaction with a TV. Instead of “watching and turning off”, the TV always works: it shows the weather, plays music or the radio, or is silent, but always ready to answer, you just have to turn to it.
- The TV has a full digital and analog tuner, there is support for satellite TV. But, frankly, it looks like an anachronism. Why plug in an antenna and do some tuning when you can watch more than a hundred TV channels on the Internet?
- Installing apk applications is an example of a good service. Why is the user usually not allowed to install their applications? Marketing aside, the big reason is safety. It is not clear where the application came from and what viruses can be in it. See how Sberbank solved the problem. We take a smartphone or computer, download the apk file we need and upload it to our personal account at apps.sber.ru/my. And then on the TV we find the application in the “Downloaded” section and from there we install it.
First of all, SberDevices pleases with the quality of the product. From build to sound and picture quality, the TV is good. So we recommend to take a walk to the electronics store and see live. Ask for the remote and play around with the OS.
Subjectively, I liked the TV most of all for its simplicity, friendliness and “omnivorousness”. It feels like Sber is trying to make a “dream TV” by adding everything a user might want to it: from delivering products and installing applications to games designed for the company.
More information about all models of Sber smart TVs can be found at official website.
Source: Mobile-review.com — Все о мобильной технике и технологиях by mobile-review.com.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Mobile-review.com — Все о мобильной технике и технологиях by mobile-review.com. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!