Researchers from SAS visualized particles of the new coronavirus.
Even the pandemic did not prevent scientists from addressing various issues. Who won the Nobel Prize? At what temperature does the water freeze? And how much does Mt. Everest?
- Berlin scientists have isolated people’s blood, who overcame the infection with the new coronavirus, almost 600 different antibodies and artificially reproduced several of them. Initial research has shown that these “highly effective” antibodies have been able to help infected people. The administered antibodies could provide immediate protection and have a preventive effect or even have a positive effect on already infected persons.
- An international team of scientists has discovered gas in the atmosphere of Venus, which is associated with living microorganisms. It is located about 50 kilometers above the surface, and astronomers cannot yet explain its presence on the second planet from the Sun other than the presence of life.
- Scientists from the Biomedical Center of the Slovak Academy of Sciences the virus particles of the new coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 isolated from Slovak patients with COVID-19 were visualized by electron microscopy. Not only the scientific community, but also the general public had a unique view of the “Slovak” virus.
- An international team of scientists has discovered the world’s oldest sperm in Burma. Scientists have found sperm in the body of a fertilized female seashell that got stuck in amber about 100 million years ago. Also interesting is the size of the sperm, which measures 4.6 times more than the body of a male conch. It grows to a maximum of a few millimeters.
- Siberia released the mummy of the bear, which lived in the Ice Age. It is completely preserved, has all its internal organs, even its nose. This is a completely unique finding of an adult in whom the soft tissues have also been preserved.
- According to the latest research, the oldest ancestor of man lived about 7.2 million years ago, it is possible that the evolutionary branches of man and apes have separated in Europe (and not in Africa, as the generally accepted theory claims today), and the last two decades in human ancestral research have also brought about a shift over Neanderthals. .
- Slovak scientists have discovered the appearance of long-necked dinosaurs from embryo fossils. Thanks to the dinosaur embryo, which has been perfectly preserved in its egg, scientists have learned new details about the evolution and appearance of the long-necked dinosaurs – sauropods that inhabited the Earth 80 million years ago.
- Slovak and Czech scientists informed about a new study, which proves that the story of bacterial nanotubes is taking a whole new turn – scientists have been able to describe a unique phenomenon that occurs when a bacterial cell dies. They have shown that these nanotubes are in principle formed from every cell when they have used various stress factors such as pressure or exposed them to antibiotics.
- Archaeologists on the Peruvian Nazca Plain have uncovered a cat pattern. The 37-meter-long shape, with clearly visible lines between 30 and 40 centimeters thick, represents a cat with a tilted head. Scientists date its origin to the years 200 to 100 BC.
- People with blood type “zero” have a lower risk if they become infected with COVID-19 serious complications such as organ failure or even death. This emerged from the results of two independent studies in Denmark and Canada, which found that those with group A, B or AB were more likely to become infected with COVID-19.
- New knowledge about Venus? Also thanks to Slovak scientists. The BepiColombo spacecraft, which has been traveling to Mercury since 2018, has approached Venus at a distance of 10,720 kilometers. Thanks to scientists from the Slovak Academy of Sciences, it will be possible to use this close flight to study the properties of ions in its upper atmosphere.
- The soyuz MS-17 with a three-member crew docked on the International Space Station (ISS), when it connected to the Russian service module Rossvet. She arrived at the orbital complex after a record short flight from Earth. It lasted only three hours and three minutes.
- Astronomers have captured the moment like a supermassive black hole it absorbs a star the size of the Sun.
- Nobel Prize in Chemistry on Wednesday, for the first time in the history of the Swedish Royal Academy of Sciences, they won two women for developing the CRISPR * Cas9 method, which allows scientists to modify the DNA of any organism. French biochemist Emmanuelle Charpentier will share the award with American biochemist Jennifer Doudn.
- Nobel Prize in Physics received Roger Penros, Reinhard Genzel and Andrea Ghez. Roger Penrose won the award “for discovering that the formation of black holes is a robust prediction of the general theory of relativity.” Reinhard Genzel and Andrea Ghez were honored “for discovering a supermassive compact object in the center of our galaxy.”
- Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2020 was jointly awarded to American Harvey J. Alter, Charles M. Rice and British Michael Houghton “for the discovery of the virus causing hepatitis C”.
- Genes that some people inherited from ancient Neanderthal ancestors may increase the risk of severe COVID-19 disease. European scientists have found out. This gene is found in about 16% of the population of Europe and about half of the population of South Asia. However, it is practically non-existent in Africa and East Asia. Genes acquired by humans after Neanderthals may be a risk factor for a new type of coronavirus, according to a new study.
- European Space Agency (ESA) Mars Express probe discovered under the layer of ice in the southern polar region of the red planet several lakes of liquid water, which is apparently salty.
- Even the freezing point of water is no longer absolute certainty. Scientists led by Martin Kalbáč from the J. Heyrovsky Institute of Physical Chemistry of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Jana Vejpravová and Jiri Klimeš from the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University were able to describe a process in which the temperature changes under certain conditions from water to liquid.
- Canadian scientists have discovered a planet in outer space that they already call “hellish.” Hundreds of light-years from Earth, the oceans are formed by liquid lava, the wind reaches supersonic speeds and stones rain instead of water drops. Scientists have described the conditions on this exoplanet as one of the most extreme they have encountered so far.
- The archaeologist argues that Christ lived in the preserved house. Ken Dark, who works at the University of Reading, spent 14 years researching a first-century dwelling under a newer convent. The old residence is situated under a church from the time of the Roman Empire, which is located under a younger monastery.
- In the suburbs of Pompeii, Italy, they discovered the remains of two victims of the Vesuvius explosion. Archaeologists, based on the remains of the clothes and the appearance of the skeletons, believe that he was a young slave and a richer man, who may have been about 40 years old at the time of death and probably owned the slave.
- Scientists have discovered a hitherto unknown species of monkey in a remote area of Burma, but they immediately ranked it among the most endangered species. According to them, there are only about 200 Pouppa langurs, named after the area in which they live. The newly discovered species is characterized by distinct circles around the eyes and gray hair.
- Scientists in the United States have developed an algorithm which, according to the sound of cough, can distinguish whether a person is infected with a coronavirus. He should also be successful in otherwise asymptomatic cases, because he can recognize the key differences of covid cough that are not revealed by human hearing. The artificial intelligence algorithm was developed by scientists at the prestigious Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
- Arecibo Observatory, which was part of a James Bond film collapsed. The device played a major role in the field of space research for half a century. The 900-ton antenna platform fell from a height of about 120 meters to the main reflecting surface in the shape of a plate. The observatory was located in the mountainous region of Puerto Rico.
- About 110 million years ago, a dinosaur roamed the shores of an ancient lagoon. He had a long mane, and hard structures resembling ribbons grew from his shoulders. An unusual fossil of a new species was discovered by a team of paleontologists in Brazil.
- China and Nepal jointly announced the newly measured height the highest mountain in the world, Mount Everest, which represents 8,848.86 meters. This was announced by Chinese Foreign Minister Wang-I.
- Japan’s JAXA space agency has announced that a small capsule launched by the Japanese spacecraft Hajabusa 2 to Earth has already landed in a remote area of South Australia as planned, bringing long-awaited samples from the asteroid Ryugu. These can explain the origin of life on Earth and contribute to the understanding of the origin of the solar system.
- The new telescope has discovered a million new galaxies and created a “new atlas of the universe.” More than three million galaxies have been mapped by the new telescopes in about 300 hours.
The goal of the daily Pravda and its internet version is to bring you up-to-date news every day. In order to be able to work for you constantly and even better, we also need your support. Thank you for any financial contribution.
Source: Pravda.sk – Veda a technika by vat.pravda.sk.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Pravda.sk – Veda a technika by vat.pravda.sk. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!