SBC chairman Amjad alone removed Rs 30 crore

ShareBarta24.com, Dhaka: The Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) has found evidence of loan fraud in the ongoing investigation against former chairman of South Bengal Agriculture and Commerce (SBAC) Bank SM Amjad Hossain. While he was the chairman, he took a loan in the name of a non-existent organization and squandered it. The ACC says the investigation has so far found information that Tk 30 crore has been withdrawn from the bank.

Confirming the matter, an ACC official said that an investigation is underway against Amjad Hossain for embezzlement. The search also found some important information. Nine people, including the bank’s former MD, have been summoned for questioning over the allegations. Sources said the ACC sent a letter to the Bangladesh Financial Intelligence Unit (BFIU) seeking information about SM Amjad Hossain. In the report given by them, the preliminary investigation found evidence of embezzlement.

According to the ACC sources, according to the BFIU report, the former chairman of South Bengal opened a fake company called Khulna Builders and took a loan in the name of that company. However, Amjad Hossain did not take this loan from any branch of Dhaka. He used the two branches of Khulna Sadar and Katakhali as a strategy to embezzle money.

According to the ACC, SM Amjad Hossain owns 51 percent shares of a company called Khulna Builders. The remaining 49 percent shares of the company are in the name of his wife Sufia Khatun. On June 1, 2016, a loan application was made in the name of the company at the Khulna branch of SBAC Bank. The next day, the bank’s board of directors approved a loan of Tk 15 crore. The loan was later extended. At present, the amount is said to be more than 30 crores.

According to the ACC investigation sources, all the records of SBC have already been collected. Not only that, other officials of the bank are also known to be involved in this loan fraud. Besides, the report of BFIU has come up that SM Amjad Hossain also embezzled the loan in the name of the employees of different organizations.

Meanwhile, Amjad Hossain resigned from the board of directors of SBC on September 22 amid various discussions. The bank’s managing director Mosleh Uddin Ahmed said Amjad Hossain had submitted his resignation letter citing physical illness. According to the law, the board will take the next step in this regard. A new chairman will be appointed in his place. Amjad Hossain was called more than once to know about the allegation of embezzlement. His mobile phone was found switched off at that time.


Source: Share Barta 24 by www.sharebarta24.com.

*The article has been translated based on the content of Share Barta 24 by www.sharebarta24.com. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!

*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.

*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!