Suara.com – The public was shocked by the discovery of the monkeypox virus in Indonesia that afflicted a resident of Central Java. The Central Java Health Office (Dinkes) stated that if the residents suspected of contracting the monkeypox disease, their status was still limited to suspects or only symptomatic. For that, recognize the symptoms and prevention of monkeypox.
This monkeypox disease has become a concern of the world community since in several countries the cases have increased. This disease is caused by a virus that is easily contagious.
Getting to know Monkeypox
Monkeypox is a contagious infectious disease caused by the monkeypox virus. This disease was first discovered in 1958. At that time there were two outbreaks of a smallpox-like disease that occurred in a group of monkeys. Therefore, this disease is also known as ‘monkeypox’.
A few years after that discovery, in 1970, the first human case of monkeypox was found in the Congo, Africa. Then, in 2022, the monkeypox epidemic spread again.
Even to various countries including Asia. Due to the incident, the World Health Organization (WHO) has declared monkeypox disease status as a global health emergency.
So far, no specific treatment has been found for monkeypox sufferers. In general, patients will recover on their own within 2-4 weeks after being infected with this disease. The treatment given is only aimed at reducing the symptoms.
Although usually the symptoms of monkeypox are not too severe, the patient should still be treated in the hospital. In some cases found, monkeypox can worsen the condition and also cause complications, such as pneumonia and encephalitis.
Until now, there is no specific vaccine that can be given to prevent monkeypox. Maintaining personal and environmental hygiene is one of the most important steps to reduce the risk of contracting this disease.
Quoted from the page AlodokterHere are some ways you can do to prevent the spread of monkeypox:
- Avoid direct contact with animals suspected of having been infected with monkeypox
- Avoid consuming wild animal meat or animal meat that is not cooked until cooked
- Treating and isolating monkeypox sufferers until they are declared cured to prevent more severe transmission
- Implementing a clean and healthy lifestyle, for example by diligently washing hands and feet using soap and water. Especially when after activities outside the home.
- Use personal protective equipment, for example gloves and masks, when in close proximity to monkeypox sufferers
- Avoid traveling to an area or country with a high number of monkeypox cases
Symptoms of Monkey Pox
In humans, the symptoms of monkeypox look the same as the symptoms of chickenpox, but will be milder. Symptoms begin with fever, headache, muscle aches, and fatigue.
The main difference between the symptoms of chickenpox and monkeypox is that in patients with monkeypox it causes swelling of the lymph nodes (lymphadenopathy) while ordinary chickenpox does not.
Meanwhile, the incubation period for monkeypox usually ranges from 6 to 13 days but can also be 5 to 21 days. In addition to these symptoms, here are some common symptoms that monkeypox sufferers will experience:
- Fever with a temperature of more than 38.5 degrees C
- Lymphadenopathy (enlarged lymph nodes)
- Muscle pain or myalgia
- Asthenia (Decreased immune system)
- Back pain
- The appearance of smallpox lesions (lumps filled with water or pus all over the body)
- Within 1 to 3 days or sometimes longer after the onset of fever, the patient will also develop a rash, which usually starts on the face and then spreads to other parts of the body.
- This disease will usually last for 2 to 4 weeks
In Africa alone, monkeypox has been shown to cause death in 1 in 10 people who are positive for the disease.
Some of the above monkeypox prevention steps can be taken to reduce the transmission of a more severe infection. If you feel you are experiencing the above symptoms, then immediately do an examination so that you are given medicine to relieve it.
Contributors: Princess Ayu Nanda Sari
Source: Suara.com – Informasi Berita Terkini dan Terbaru Hari Ini by www.suara.com.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Suara.com – Informasi Berita Terkini dan Terbaru Hari Ini by www.suara.com. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!