Panic has announced that the Playdate, its portable console with a crank and a black and white screen, will be available for pre-order in July. In total, 21 games will be available for the first season.
Two years ago, we were already talking to you about Playdate. It looks like Nintendo’s original Game Boy, but introduces surprising concepts such as its crank and a video game download service with a very independent philosophy. This small console is finally arriving and we have had a lot of information about it.
What is the Playdate? Who is behind?
This portable game console is designed by Panic, it is the game editor of Firewatch or Untitled Goose Game. To develop the Playdate, they worked with Teenage Engineering to create a truly unique device.
Basically, it’s an anti-PS5. It incorporates a monochrome screen, with a size of 2.7 inches and a definition of 400 × 240 pixels. Its other special feature is an analog crank (which apparently won’t be used in all Playdate games). In short, it is a unique approach that stands out in 2021.
Its case is very compact, 74 x 76 x 9 millimeters, or about half the size of a smartphone. Playdate also includes Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, as well as a headphone jack and a USB-C connector for charging the battery, the battery life of which is unknown at the moment.
Panic also announced a stereo docking station for the Playdate, which makes it look like an old TV and works as both a Bluetooth speaker and a pen holder.
What are the first games planned?
The console is sold with a full “first season” of exclusive games. Among the partner studios and developers, there are several big names: Keita Takahashi (Katamari Damacy), Bennett Foddy (QWOP), Shaun Inman (Retro Game Crunch) or Zach Gage (Ridiculous Fishing).
Panic announced to include a total of 21 games. Wholesale you will receive every week two games in the form of free downloads over a 12-week period (yes that’s theoretically 24 games…).
- Crankin’s Time Travel Adventure, développé par uvula (Keita Takahashi, Ryan Mohler), Matthew Grimm et Shaun Inman
- Battleship Godios, developed by TPM.CO SOFT WORKS
- Boogie Loops, developed by May-Li Khoe and Andy Matuschak
- Casual Birder, developed by Diego Garcia; music / sound by Max Coburn
- DemonQuest 85, developed by Alex Ashby, Lawrence Bishop, Duncan Fyfe, Belinda Leung and Jared Emerson-Johnson
- Echoic Memory, developed by Samantha Kalman, Everest Pipkin, Carol Mertz and Rachelle Viola
- Executive Golf DX, developed by davemakes
- Flipper Lifter, developed by Serenity Forge
- Forrest Byrnes: Up in Smoke, developed by Nels Anderson and Christina “castpixel” Neofotistou
- Hyper Meteor, developed by Vertex Pop
- Lost Your Marbles , développé par Sweet Baby Inc. & Friends
- Omaze, developed by Grégory Kogos.
- Pick Pack Pup, developed by Nic Magnier and Arthur Hamer; music by Logan Gabriel
- Questy Chess, developed by Dadako
- Ratcheteer, developed by Shaun Inman, Matthew Grimm and Charlie Davis
- Sasquatchers, developed by Chuck Jordan; music / sound by Jared Emerson-Johnson
- Snak, developed by Zach Gage; art by Neven Mrgan
- Spellcorked !, developed by Jada Gibbs, Nick Splendorr, Ryan Splendorr and Tony Ghostbrite; music by A Shell in the Pit (Em Halberstadt)
- Zipper, developed by Bennett Foddy
- Saturday Edition, developed by Chris Makris; music by A Shell in the Pit (Gord McGladdery, Alfonso Salinas)
- Whitewater Wipeout, developed by Chuhai Labs
If you want to design your own Playdate game, Panic designed Pulp. It is a development kit that works entirely through your web browser. It is a set of tools, which includes development, graphics and music tools, it will be put online for free at an indefinite date.
What price and what availability for the Playdate?
During the Playdate Update of June 2021 (which you will find below in replay), Panic confirmed that the console will be launched ” later this year“, With pre-orders starting” in July “, the price is set at $ 179 excl. (around 150 euros). This price includes the 21 games of the first season, as specified above.
Source: Frandroid by www.frandroid.com.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Frandroid by www.frandroid.com. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!