Online interview – Vladimir Pavićević, political scientist and director of the Society for Research of Politics and Political Theory
In the political life of Montenegro, the situation is such that the DPS, after the elections on August 30, is experiencing a sharp drop in support in the electorate. On the other hand, already this year we can have early elections due to the incompetence of the President of the first democratic Government of Montenegro.
As for Serbia, it is important that opposition parties gather in one bloc and first enter the Assembly, and then continue to work on changes as a relevant force, explains political scientist Vladimir Pavicevic, director of the Society for Research of Politics and Political Theory in the section “Interview on networks ”on the Facebook page of Danas.
– Milo Đukanović’s party has less and less voter support. The reason for that is that Djukanovic insists that the DPS be in the position of the extreme sex of Montenegrin politics, which analysts call the clero-nationalist position. In that way, the DPS rejects its supporters, and thus the support in the electorate decreases. If they continue with that policy, they will fight to pass the census in the next elections. It is known that when one big party loses the elections, then you have a situation where many leave that party, and everything results in a new weakening of the DPS and a further decline in Djukanovic’s political influence in Montenegrin politics – Vladimir Pavicevic estimates.
When asked by readers how it is possible to maintain cohabitation, due to numerous political currents, Pavićević explains that cohabitation can bring a lot of good, but it is often an obstacle to the development of some processes and decision-making of partners.
– Cohabitation in Montenegro will necessarily reduce Djukanovic’s influence. As president, he does not have any great competencies, and the key competencies in conducting domestic and foreign policy are held by the Government of Montenegro. And every time Djukanovic, as president, gets involved in preventing some government action or returning some legislative projects to the Assembly for reconsideration, which was recently the case, the public perceives it as an obstruction in the actions of the new government, which has full democratic legitimacy to decides on interests on behalf of the citizens of Montenegro because the electoral will is shown in the elections. Every time the president acts like that, he appears as a disruptor of development, democracy and a key part of the government, and that is the Government. These processes affect the decline in the popularity of the DPS – Pavicevic explains.
He stated that early elections in Montenegro can be expected this year, which, as he says, is a pity.
– My opinion is that we can have early elections this year. It is a pity that this is so, but it is because we have the incompetence of the president of this new first democratic government, Mr. Kivokapić. He had a situation where the support of 41 deputies increased in the days after the elections, when small parties advocating minority interests were discussed, such as the Bosniak and Albanian parties. At that time, he had a chance to expand his support among the deputies, but he reduced his support by his actions in the three months before the Government was voted. That is why he is now the president of the minority government, for which it is no longer certain whether he has the support of these 41 councilors and who must have the special support of the Parliament of Montenegro for each proposal and legislative project – Pavicevic thinks and for that reason thinks Krivokapic did not do well , as if it was a crisis and historical moment for the Montenegrin society, which meant that Krivokapić applied what Djindjic did.
According to him, that means providing the widest possible support to the Government and including as many minority parties as possible.
– Krivokapić did not do any of that, he formed a minority government that will not be reformist, which is not even expert as announced. Many attribute this to political inexperience or it is a matter of personal political ambitions that a new party may be formed in the future, headed by Krivokapic. I think that Krivokapić’s actions so far have brought suspicion among many citizens – Pavićević stated.
He points out that the emergence of new political formations in Montenegro can be expected, given that the DPS is declining in popularity.
– Everything depends on the political formations, and it is certain that the decline in the popularity of the DPS means less support for them in the elections. New political options are likely to emerge, which are moderate, which are not extreme, and which will try to attract DPS voters who want reconciliation in Montenegro. The biggest fight will be around these voters, it will be a challenge for the DPS to keep the fall of voters. They will be followed by internal party elections, and Djukanovic wants to remain at the helm of this party. All this opens space for new political formations – says Vladimir Pavićević.
Danas’ interlocutor reminds that the DPS has set identity issues in its program as the ones around which the biggest fight will be fought.
– Djukanovic decided to attack what religious sentiments are through the topic of identity, and to try to solve the identity issue in Montenegro by attacking the church. The question of language was not as challenging for him as the question of the church. There was a stormy reaction of the citizens, people saw that the attack on the church was starting, so the response of the largest number of citizens, not only believers, not only Orthodox and Christians, was gatherings and liturgies. It was a pure civic response, a huge enlightenment movement, to the attack of one party on the church and the Constitution of the state of Montenegro. That law on religious community was unjust, it violated human rights because religious rights are actually human rights. Representatives of other religious communities, Islamic and Catholic, also contributed to protecting the interests of the attacked religious community with their statements. When we act from the position of the government, we must be careful about issues on which citizens have clearly defined attitudes. In that situation, Djukanovic showed that he does not know, does not know and does not know how to ask specific questions of citizens in his community – Pavicevic said.
When asked by readers whether Montenegro will withdraw the recognition of Kosovo, Pavićević answered that spears were broken about it immediately after the elections.
– The leaders of the three great victorious coalitions signed an agreement that Montenegro will not change what is its foreign policy position, so the issue of Kosovo appeared as an eye when there is no change. It is good that Serbia has moderate and good positions regarding the work of this Montenegrin government, having in mind how complicated the Kosovo issue is for everyone, even for its neighbors, and not only Serbia and Kosovo.
On the announcement of the political engagement of Bishop Gligorije, Pavićević says that he is against the church’s interference in state and political affairs.
– They often compare this situation with Serbia, they argue whether the Montenegrin model could be applied. The church was attacked here, the constitutional rights of the believers, the Constitution was attacked. We have provided support to revise the law on religious communities, and it has been done. From that moment on, our position is that the church has nothing to look for in the political field. We have preserved the rights of believers and the church, and now the church has nothing more to do with politics. The principle of separation of church and state applies in Montenegro and this should apply in Serbia as well. This does not mean that church dignitaries should not comment publicly. They should give an opinion, but I am personally against the engagement of church people in politics – said Vladimir Pavićević.
When asked how he views the political life in Serbia, Pavicevic stated that he thinks that the Serbian opposition should take the second strongest position in the next elections.
– I think that there is one thing for Serbian politics, which can be important, and it concerns the possibility for the relevant opposition political formations in Serbia to gather and try to put aside the differences, in order to go to the elections announced as one column. 2022. In order to achieve such a result, surely the second place in terms of strength in Serbia, it is necessary for them to perform together. Entering the assembly would show pluralism, and the SNS would have a serious opponent. For a point of change to come, the opposition must show strength. And he can do that by gathering in one block, while the result is the one that will provide more influence. That is the model for Serbia. The boycott does not lead to changes, but first support through the electorate, and then the next steps towards changes – Pavicevic estimates.
Support us by being a member of the Danas Readers’ Club
In the time of general tabloidization, sensationalism and commercialization of the media, we have been insisting on the principles of professional and ethical journalism for more than two decades. We were banned and called out, no government was kind to criticism, but nothing prevented us from informing you objectively on a daily basis. That is why we want to rely on you.
Membership in the Danas Readers’ Club for 799 dinars per month you help us stay independent and consistent with the journalism we believe in, and you receive a PDF of tomorrow’s issue of Danas by e-mail every night.
Source: Dnevni list Danas by www.danas.rs.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Dnevni list Danas by www.danas.rs. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!