Parcel traffic in Portugal increases 26% in 2020 to 75 million units – Companies


In 2020, 74.7 million orders were processed in Portugal, an increase of 25.8% compared to the previous year. According to the 2020 Cross-Border Parcel Delivery Services report, published this Monday by Anacom, the most significant rise took place in incoming international orders, whose traffic soared by 38.8%. Domestic orders grew 23.7%) and international outgoing orders jumped 14.7%). Business turnover associated with order processing increased by 25.6%.

According to the regulator, the rise “is associated with the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic”, since in this context, “e-commerce has suffered the biggest increase in recent years, reflecting the confinement of the population and the closure of commercial establishments”.

In 2020, notes Anacom, “about 45% of individuals reported having used e-commerce in the last 12 months, 5.8 percentage points more than in 2019”. The data reveal that of the total orders processed, 66.8%, or the equivalent of almost 50 million, were national, while 22.9% originated in other countries. 10.3% were originated in Portugal and sent abroad. In total, international orders represented 33.2% of traffic.

In terms of revenues, 50.5% were generated by domestic orders, 17.6% by incoming international orders and 31.9% by outgoing international orders. International parcels accounted for close to half of parcel services turnover.

Parcel services generated total revenues of 385.8 million euros for companies providing the service, 25.6% more than in 2019.

Each order generated an average revenue of 5.17 euros, which means a drop of 0.2% compared to the previous year. National orders generated an average unit revenue of 3.91 euros, while international orders received generated 3.98 euros. International outgoing orders generated 15.96 euros, on average.

With regard to the workforce, 14 810 workers were associated with the provision of parcel delivery services, 3% more than in 2019. Of these, 78.5% are employees of the CTT Group.

The number of full-time workers represented 84.5%, while part-time and temporary workers represented 2.7% and 12.8% of the total, respectively, reveals the regulator. The number of temporary workers increased
34.3%, while the number of part-time workers increased by 6.2%, and the number of full-time workers decreased by 0.6%.

The report covered 10 companies that provided services in Portugal, with at least 50 people employed.


Source: Jornal de Negócios by www.jornaldenegocios.pt.

*The article has been translated based on the content of Jornal de Negócios by www.jornaldenegocios.pt. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!

*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.

*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!