New study solves the mystery! This is how Saturn’s rings were created

THE Saturn it is the second largest planet in our solar system and 750 times larger than Earth. It is composed mainly of hydrogen and helium and has 83 natural satellites. It is a planet that excites the imagination more because of the his impressive rings. Until today, experts did not agree on the origin of their formation, not even on their age, but a new study comes to shed light on the enigma.

According to her, about 160 million years ago, one frozen satellite disintegrated and its remains gradually formed the rings of Saturn. Scientists have named the hypothetical satellite ‘Chrysallida’, taking inspiration from the second stage of the caterpillar’s transformation into a butterfly. About 99% of the debris was lost in Saturn’s atmosphere, while the remaining 1% remained in orbit around the planet and eventually formed the ring system, one of the wonders of our solar system, according to the researchers.

According to scientists’ estimates, “Chrysallida” was about the size of Iapetus (1,470 km in diameter), Saturn’s third largest moon. Saturn’s rings, made up of dust and ice particles, are up to 282,000 kilometers from the planet.

Read also:

Google: Gave $250,000 to a hacker by mistake and he returned it (digitallife.gr)


Source: Digital Life! by www.digitallife.gr.

*The article has been translated based on the content of Digital Life! by www.digitallife.gr. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!

*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.

*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!