Motorhome, motorhome… which permit for which vehicle?

If you want to drive in a motorhome, camper van or motorhome, here is everything you need to know about the driving license you need!

If this is the first time you’re about to drive a motorhome or campervan, this activity may seem confusing, but know that it is not necessarily more complicated than driving a car!

The driver’s license required for legal driving varies according to the weight of your motorhome: here is all you need to know about the license to drive a motorhome or camper van.

Motorhome: a B license is often enough

Motorhomes whose total authorized weight (PTAC) is less than or equal to 3.5 tonnes are considered to be light vehicles. The same is true for fitted vans, which are often derived from a light commercial vehicle.

Motorhomes are also subject to the same traffic and parking rules as a car. Thereby, only a B permit is required to drive such a motorhome or camper van, unless you are towing a trailer weighing more than 750 kg.

Camper van: a B permit is also sufficient

In fact, if you are towing a trailer with a GVW of more than 750 kg, there are two scenarios: if the combined GVW of the towing vehicle + trailer does not exceed 4,250 kg, you can use a B license with ‘a mention B96which is obtained after 7 hours of training provided by driving schools.

If you want to drive a motorhome and tow a trailer with a GVW greater than 750 kg, and the sum of the GVW of the two (towing vehicle + trailer) is greater than 4,250 kg, you must pass the permis BE.

Read also :
• Motorhomes and converted vans: why are they so popular?
• Second-hand motorhome: our advice for a successful purchase
• Motorhome: the 5 essential accessories

Heavy-duty motorhome or motorhome: C1 license required

When your campervan or motorhome has a GVW greater than 3.5 tonnesit falls into the category of heavyweight : to drive it, you must therefore have a allow C1, which allows vehicles with a GVW of between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes to be driven. This can also be used to tow a trailer whose GVW does not exceed 750 kg.

Finally, the C1E license is a heavy goods vehicle license that allows you to tow a trailer whose GVW exceeds 750 kg. The whole of the towing vehicle and its trailer must not exceed 12 tons. The C1 and C1E license has a limited period of validity : 5 years until the age of 60, then 2 years until the age of 76, and finally 1 year beyond the age of 76. For the renewal of a C1 or C1E license, a medical visit is mandatory.

Source: AutoplusAutoplus by

*The article has been translated based on the content of AutoplusAutoplus by If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!

*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.

*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!