Onet, TVN24, Gazeta, Newsweek will be unavailable for 24 hours. In this way they are protesting against the government’s advertising tax plans. Here are the details.
The largest portals and the press are protesting against the planned media taxation. In the next 24 hours we will not read any new content in many places – all in order to make the readers aware of what reality would be like without free media. What’s up with the ad tax? We wrote about it a few days ago – you can read more here: tax on advertising.
– Your favorite website should be here. Today, however, you won’t read any content here. Find out what the world will look like without independent media. The Media Without Choice campaign was launched. Read our open letter to the authorities of the Republic of Poland. The most important thing for us is that YOU have a choice. We would like to thank users and business partners for their understanding and support – we read on the Onet website.
The initiators of the media protest point out that the pandemic has had an economic impact on their financial condition, and the advertising tax will lead to a huge crisis.
– The proposal of a new tax on media is yet another blow to the media in Poland in recent years. The new tax will hit our editorial offices, which have already suffered from the epidemic devastating our economy. Our advertisers and our readers are suffering from the lockdown that has been going on for almost a year. Newspaper circulation is falling, advertising spending is falling. Now the state wants to throw on us an additional multi-million dollar burden. Our publishers in a letter to the Polish authorities rightly warn that the new tax will hit the Polish viewer, listener, reader and internet user and will limit the possibility of financing quality and local content, while increasing the already powerful influence of the authorities on the media market in Poland, argue representatives the largest portals and press in Poland.
On Wednesday morning, instead of broadcasting live programs, TVN24 and Polsat showed a message about the “Media without a choice” campaign. On the pages of the largest portals, the readers did not read any new content. Radio stations joined the initiative, incl. RMF FM, Radio Zet and TOK FM.
Media representatives also issued an open letter to the authorities appealing to withdraw from the additional levy. – We are addressing the announced new, additional burden on the media operating on the Polish market, confusingly called the “premium”, introduced under the pretext of Covid-19. It is simply tribute, striking the Polish viewer, listener, reader and internet user, as well as Polish productions, culture, entertainment, sport and the media – it was written.
Significant weakening, liquidation of some jobs, deterioration of the quality of journalism – these are some of the arguments raised in the public discussion on the new tax.
– The asymmetrical and selective burden on individual companies is also scandalous. In addition, it is unacceptable in a state governed by the law to try to change the terms of the concession during their term. As the media that has been operating in Poland for many years, we do not shirk our obligations and social responsibility. Every year, we pay an increasing number of taxes, levies and fees to the state budget (CIT, VAT, emission fees, copyright management organizations, concessions, frequencies, booking decisions, VOD fee, etc.). We also support the weakest groups in our society with our own charity work. We support Poles and the government in the fight against the epidemic, both in terms of information and by allocating resources worth hundreds of millions of zlotys for this purpose, it was argued.
– We strongly oppose the use of the epidemic as a pretext to introduce another, new, exceptionally severe media load. A sustained burden to survive the Covid-19 epidemic, protesters predict.
The open letter was signed by the following companies: Agencja Wydawnicza AGARD Ryszard Pajura, Agora SA, AMS SA, Bonnier Business, Burda Media Polska, Canal +, Dziennik Trybuna, Dziennik Wschodni, Edipresse Polska, Eleven Sports Network sp. Z oo, Gazeta Radomszczańska, Green Content Sp. . z o. o., Gremi Media SA, Eurozet Group, Grupa Interia.pl sp. zoo, Grupa Radiowa Agory Sp. z o. o., Grupa RMF, Grupa ZPR, Helios SA, Infor Biznes, Kino Polska TV SA, Lemon Records sp. z oo, Marshal Academy, Music TV sp. z oo, Muzo.fm sp. z oo, naTemat.pl, Polityka , Polska Press, Grupa Ringier Axel Springer Polska, STAVKA Sp. z oo, Superstacja sp. z oo, Telewizja Polsat sp. z oo, Telewizja Puls Sp. z o. o., TIME SA, TV Spektrum sp. z o. o., TVN SA, Tygodnik Powiatu Wołowski, Kurier Gmin, Tygodnik Powszechny, Bauer Publishing House, Dominika Księskiego Wulkan Publishing House, Magraf Publishing House, Nowiny Publishing House, Zakopiańskie Towarzystwo Gospodarcze – Tygodnik Podhalański.
– The solidarity contribution for the media (the so-called advertising tax) introduced during the epidemic may mean problems for smaller companies to stay on the market – says Bogna Janke, owner of the Salon24 portal.
The dispute over the introduction of a new tax on advertising media is being commented on around the world. – As someone who cares about Poland, I am deeply concerned about the plans of the Polish authorities to suppress media freedom. Let’s call things a spade – these actions are an attack on democracy and the rule of law, wrote Madeleine Albright, former US secretary of state under President Bill Clinton.
Source: Salon24.pl: Strona główna by www.salon24.pl.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Salon24.pl: Strona główna by www.salon24.pl. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!