Mandatory vaccines for infants: assessment of the first year

The first report on the extension of the compulsory vaccination calendar for infants under two years of age has just been published by the Ministry of Health. It shows an increase in vaccine coverage for all vaccines for children born in 2018 compared to those born in 2017.

Since January 1, 2018, the number of mandatory vaccinations for babies under two years of age increased from three to eleven (diphtheria, tetanus, polio, measles, mumps, rubella, hepatitis B, whooping cough, Haemophilus influenzae type B meningitis, meningitis, pneumonia and pneumococcal septicemia and meningitis and septicemia meningococcus C). Was this measure effective? The Ministry of Health and Solidarity has just published the assessment of the first year of this extension of vaccination obligation. This shows an increase in vaccine coverage for all vaccines for children born in 2018 compared to those born in 2017.

“Vaccination coverage for booster and second year vaccinations has not yet reached the 95% target. However, the maximum age of children (17 months) at the time of estimating vaccination coverage can explain this result “underlines the ministry, which expects an improvement of the coverage as these children will grow and enter community.

Zoom on vaccination coverage

About 1.5 million children under the age of 2 are affected by compulsory vaccination each year according to the ANSM. According to this report:

  • The hepatitis B vaccination for the first dose increased from 90.5 to 96.3% and for the third dose from 83.1 to 89.4%.
  • The vaccination against pneumococcus for the first dose increased from 98.1 to 99.5% and for the third dose from 88.3 to 90.1%.
  • The vaccination against meningococcus C for the first dose increased from 35.5 to 75.8% and for the second dose at 12 months from 72.5 to 76.8%.
  • The vaccination against measles, for the first dose increased from 86.2 to 87.6%.

Adverse reactions in 203 infants

The report also lists all the declarations of events or undesirable effects notified to the national network of Regional Pharmacovigilance Centers (CRPV) from 2012 to 2017, i.e. before the extension of the vaccination obligation, but also during the first year of implementation (2018).

  • A total of 203 infants vaccinated in 2018, aged 0 to 23 months, were notified for having manifested one or more adverse effects or events.
  • Among the notifications, 150 notifications (74%) were made by health professionals while the remaining 53 (26%) came from the baby’s entourage.
  • In 2018, among the 203 notifications, 122 of them were classified as “non-serious” cases and 81 as “serious” cases, mainly general disorders, mainly fever, nervous system disorders such as predominantly febrile convulsions and episodes of hypotonia and skin conditions, mainly rash.

Read also :

Subscribe to the Top Santé Newsletter and receive your light and delicious recipes booklet for free