After the Prime Minister Ingrida Šimonyte stated that after the epic about value added tax (VAT) relief, when M. Majauskas stood against the Government’s position, she can no longer call him a friend, the MP refrains from further comments about it.
The politician explained that on his part, the civil servant’s restraint must be maintained in relation to the state leaders.
At the same time, he denied that the root of the conflict was the reluctance to appoint him to the European Court of Auditors.
“This is a past stage and I have no regrets about it,” said the chairman of the Seimas Budget and Finance Committee in an interview with “15/15” Mykolas Majauskas.
Removal is like separation from the Church
– Four days have already passed since you officially heard the decision that you were expelled from the party ranks. Have you already made up your mind a little differently? Having already jumped a little from those hotties, you can say how you feel about the situation?
– Well, a painful decision. The party is not only about elections and electoral lists.
This is a large community, thousands of people. You grow with them, learn, take care of them.
The decision to simply remove him from the party, as if to separate him from the Church, was really painful and unexpected.
It was possible to reprimand, warn, suspend, but simply remove – I did not expect such a harsh response.
– But the leadership of the party, starting with, let’s say, the first leaders of the party, ending with the representatives of the party bodies, mentioned that you went towards that conflict purposefully, you did not take into account the opinion of the party leaders or the party on certain issues. It is said that you did not compromise and you yourself knew what was coming.
So was it really so unexpected for you? And did you really try to escalate that conflict, as some claim?
– Perhaps I will start with the fact that I honestly performed the duties provided for in the Constitution.
Taxes in accordance with Article 67 of the Constitution are determined by the Seimas in accordance with the Statute of the Seimas.
Conclusions on tax laws are prepared by the Budget and Finance Committee. He prepares a conclusion and the Seimas approves it exactly as it is with minor changes.
And, yes, the supervisory bodies – the presidium – made a decision right after the presentation of the budget that no projects or changes that are not coordinated with the Government can be proposed.
That discipline, I understand, is important. But there have been similar presidium decisions in the past.
Such a decision is not often, rarely, but usually they are at the adoption stage, at the final stage, when the Seimas votes for the revision of the budget and in this way trust in the Government is shown.
And I voted for this budget and previous budgets because I trust the Government.
In my understanding, the Government has done its job well in preparing the budget.
But it should be noted that, according to the Constitution, the Government has the exclusive duty and competence to prepare a budget that is not coordinated with anyone: neither with the Presidency nor with the Seimas.
And that is why there are two stages of consideration in the Seimas, when the budget is coordinated with the public.
At this stage – the coordination stage – various proposals are made and I made a proposal in the preparation of the conclusion of the Budget and Finance Committee that taxes should not be increased.
Let’s remember: the Government’s initial position was that taxes would increase from January 1 in the catering sector, service sector or culture sector.
Later, the Government compromised and said: “for half a year”.
From the very beginning, the Budget and Finance Committee took the position that there would be no increase in taxes and an indefinite reduction of the tariff for culture, sports and catering.
Then the Government, after assessing the circumstances, agreed that the culture should be open indefinitely. However, they took the position that only for 6 months.
And the committee reached a compromise and said, we listen to the Government and propose that taxes not be increased for at least a year, at least a year, at least 12 months.
The government still stuck to its position, saying: “six months”. Committee – 12 months.
And the Seimas approved the conclusion of the Budget and Finance Committee.
So, in my understanding, both sides came to a compromise and that separation is really very small.
If we look, the total budget is about 20 billion. budget in the amount of EUR – and there are several tens of millions due to the reduced tariff for six or twelve months. In my understanding, this is a really small separation.
– And what caused it? Where would you see those reasons? If you said that the difference of opinion, let’s say, was not very big, the amount of money not collected in the budget is not tragic with as much as planned.
So where are the reasons that you were removed differently than, say, M. Skritulskas, your colleague from the faction, who also voted the same way as you, and that you were treated the way you were treated?
– I do not undertake to evaluate, to somehow speculate, what one or other reasons could be.
I only heard the facts that were presented in the Oversight Committee, that I did not comply with the Presidium’s decision to vote for such amendments to the laws as presented by the Government and not to submit any proposals that were not in agreement with the Government.
– But apparently you have some thoughts? You’ve probably been looking for answers these days. Why, let’s say, the sentence is one for M. Skritulskas, but different for you.
– The Supervisory Committee should be asked here.
– They explained that your responsibilities are a little different – you are the head of that central budget deliberation committee. That’s why.
– Indeed, the Budget and Finance Committee has great responsibilities.
We work smoothly and harmoniously with the Government and the Ministry of Finance. And this reveals that we not only approve the budget, but we revise it several times a year.
This is a rather complicated process, because it involves large, billion-dollar sums, hundreds of legal acts, changes that are adjusted one by one.
Usually, such things – the budget is revised during the year – took place once every five years, several times every ten years.
Now we do that several times a year, because we work smoothly: we both revise and approve the budget without any disruptions.
Take a look, in two years the budget was approved and adjusted maybe 5-6 times. This indicates smooth operation.
What I want to point out is that there is communication, there is smooth work. And in this situation, the separation is really small.
And I didn’t hear any other reasons why there was such a harsh response.
The only reason is that I do not follow the Government’s position regarding the reduced VAT rate.
He has no complaints about the position of auditor
– Well, but some conservatives unofficially say that the reasons for that conflict, let’s say, both with the prime minister and with other party leaders are very prosaic.
That you recently went to va bank somewhat offended because you were not appointed to the European Court of Auditors.
It is said that since, let’s say, since last spring, when these talks about the candidacy intensified, you have somehow been more involved in such conflict situations, maybe you have shown some kind of dissatisfaction to the party on certain issues and the like. Was it really like that?
– This is a past phase and I have no regrets about it.
The government, the presidency and the Seimas approved Laima Andrikienė, my colleague, who is a signatory, a high professional, who knows her field very well, with an absolute majority of votes, with great confidence.
Source: 15min.lt – suprasti akimirksniu | RSS by www.15min.lt.
*The article has been translated based on the content of 15min.lt – suprasti akimirksniu | RSS by www.15min.lt. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!