Updates: 12.07.2021 00:20
Prague – The musical meditation of the singer and violinist Iva Bittová tonight in the Great Hall of the Prague Trade Fair Palace will commemorate the final liquidation of the so-called Terezín family camp in Auschwitz-Birkenau. The camp of Czech Jews transferred to Auschwitz from Terezín was exterminated by the Nazis in two waves, the second of which took place between July 10 and 12, 1944. At the beginning of the concert, the Minister of Culture Lubomír Zaorálek (ČSSD)
Zaorálek signed the charter of the state-subsidized organization Památník silence at the end of May. The organization will take over the activities of a non-profit company, which has so far pointed out Jewish transports under the same name in the building of the former Prague railway station Bubny. In the coming years, the station building of the Prague – Bubny railway station should be reconstructed, which will serve as a memorial to the Holocaust.
The traditional reverential event in March this year commemorated the first stage of the extermination of the Terezín family camp. On the night of March 8-9, 1944, almost 4,000 women, men and children lost their lives, making the event the largest mass murder in the history of Czechoslovakia. Between 10 and 12 July 1944, the remaining 3,500 prisoners died. Between September 1943 and May 1944, 17,500 Czech Jews from Terezín were transported to the Auschwitz-Birkenau camp.
In the autumn, the Monument of Silence wants to commemorate 80 years since the beginning of Jewish deportations and the founding of the Terezín ghetto. In cooperation with the Museum of Applied Arts in Prague, he is preparing, for example, an exhibition of photographs by Pavel Dias called Torso, Memories of the Future, which will be on view in the Buben railway station hall and in the House of the Black Madonna.
The family camp, which was created for Jews from the Terezín ghetto, was built in September 1943. The Nazis used it for propaganda, they wanted to preserve the fiction that people in the camp have a normal life. Jews wore civilian clothes, could write letters and receive parcels. According to the memories of the writer and translator Pavel Stránský, this section of the camp was to serve as an alibi when there were reports of organized mass murders in Auschwitz. Each transport was to remain in the camp for six months and then die in the gas chambers. The gassers were to replace other prisoners so that a possible International Red Cross commission would find that the prisoners were in “good” condition.
Source: České noviny – hlavní události by www.ceskenoviny.cz.
*The article has been translated based on the content of České noviny – hlavní události by www.ceskenoviny.cz. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!