In the heat, nutritionists advise people with high blood pressure to eat watermelon

Photo: press photo

Juicy, crunchy and surprisingly refreshing in the heat, watermelon is simply irreplaceable: it contains a number of valuable antioxidants, including citrulline, which helps to reduce high blood pressure.

Nutritionists especially advise people with blood pressure problems to eat a piece of watermelon in hot weather. But it should be borne in mind that these fruits contain sugar, so you need to know when to stop.

Basically, watermelon consists of water, which makes up 90% of this delicious berry. The remaining 10% is sugar, a little protein, fat and fiber and various biologically active substances.

Nutritionists believe that a small piece of watermelon, about 100 grams, will provide 10% of the daily intake. vitamin B6, 5% – vitamin B1, 10% – vitamin C and 3% – magnesium.

The most valuable thing in this product is antioxidants… For example, citrulline, which is concentrated in the white part of the watermelon, closer to the skin, helps to relax the blood vessels and elasticity of the arteries, which helps to improve blood flow and reduce high blood pressure.
And watermelon also contains B vitamins, magnesium, lycopene, a little beta-carotene – all this is also good for blood pressure and blood vessels.

Lycopene – an amino acid that colors vegetables and fruits red. This substance limits the effects of free radicals, helping to reduce the risks of certain cancers – for example, the formation of breast, prostate and even lung cancer.

Lycopene can also reduce the amount of bad cholesterol in the body and the risks of various cardiovascular diseases. The concentration of lycopene increases with heat treatment, so there will be much more lycopene in tomato sauces or puree than in fresh tomatoes or watermelon.

Watermelon contains not only various useful substances, but also quite a lot of sugar, has a high glycemic index, which contributes to fluctuations in blood sugar levels and can make you feel hungry.

Therefore, people who want to lose weight should not eat watermelon in unlimited quantities, reassuring themselves that it contains solid water.

The Ministry of Health’s recommendations for adults mention that the RDA for fruits and vegetables is five servings, and that the bulk of that serving should be taken from vegetables and herbs. At the same time, watermelon can be a good alternative to fatty treats and an excellent snack.


For people with high sugar, you can use watermelon in salads along with mozzarella, tomatoes, avocado pieces.


Source: nasha.lv RSS by nasha.lv.

*The article has been translated based on the content of nasha.lv RSS by nasha.lv. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!

*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.

*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!