One of the proprietary chips of the Apple ecosystem is the wireless audio and video protocol. AirPlay… The option debuted back in the days iOS 4, and in one of the updates iOS 11 “Grew up” to the second generation with support for multi-room technology.
The protocol is not completely closed, third-party developers can embed the chip in their multimedia systems, speakers and TVs. Unfortunately, this possibility is realized only in a small number of devices on the market.
Here’s how to add AirPlay support to any audio device or TV.
What you need to create your own AirPlay receiver
You can run AirPlay Server on almost any computer. There is no point in allocating too powerful a gadget for this, our beloved “raspberry” will also cope with the task. Let’s take a quick look at the list of models to see which boards might fit.
First, you need to select all models with Bluetooth support, and then leave only devices that support Wi-Fi 802.11ac (if you have a network-enabled router at home 5 GHz.). Otherwise, models with Wi-Fi 802.11ac.
Normal operation of the service is possible if there are several processor cores and 1 GB (or more) RAM.
▶ A sufficiently powerful power supply is required to power the board. It is advisable to choose adapter for at least 3A or more powerful.
▶ You can record the operating system and the required software on a memory card in the format MicroSD with a capacity of 8 GB.
In addition, a keyboard may be useful for initial installation and configuration, if a wired USB accessory is not available, you can do the manipulations via the SSH protocol.
How to set up your own AirPlay server
1. Download and install the app Raspberry Pi Imager… It is a versatile utility to download and install the desired image for your Raspberry Pi.
The utility is available for macOS, Windows or Linux and allows you to choose one of the most popular assemblies for recording on a raspberry memory card.
2. Run the application and connect the memory card to your computer. On modern Mac models without an appropriate slot, you will have to use a hub or adapter.
3. Choose the latest version Raspberry Pi OS to install, specify the target drive and enter the administrator password to start the process. In a few minutes, the memory card will be ready for use.
3.1. If you want to further control the “Malinka” via the SSH protocol without connecting the keyboard and display, create a file in the root folder of the memory card with the name ssh no extension.
So the required protocol will be activated by default, a raspberry with a card inside can be connected to the home network via the Lan-port.
3.2. If you want to immediately configure Wi-Fi on the microcomputer, create a file in the root folder of the memory card wpa_supplicant.conf with content:
ssid="имя Wi-Fi сети"
So “raspberry” after launch and initial setup will be able to automatically connect to the home network.
4. Insert the memory card into the corresponding slot on the Raspberry board and turn on the “raspberry”.
5. If you did not configure SSH and Wi-Fi connection, you will have to do it directly in the Raspberry Pi OS interface.
5.1 Run Terminal and enter the command:
You will see the Raspberry Options panel.
5.2 Go to section System Options – Wireless Lan and enter the name of the home Wi-Fi network and the password for connection one by one.
If everything is done correctly, the device will connect to the specified network.
6. Next, you should make a number of settings in Terminal Raspberry Pi OS or on the computer command line after connecting via SSH.
Enter the following command to download and install all available system updates:
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
This process can take a long time, please be patient and do not interrupt the update.
7. After installing the updates and restarting the device, start the terminal again or connect via SSH.
8. Run the command to install the package manager PiKISS:
curl -sSL https://git.io/JfAPE | bash
9. After the installation is complete, enter the following commands in sequence:
This will initiate the download of packages for PiKISS.
10. After the download is complete, you can find the utility PiKISS according to the path specified during the installation process or in the menu with programs.
11. Launch PiKISS and select the item from the menu Others – RPiPlay to install the server AirPlay.
12. In order for the application to start automatically when Raspberry starts, you need to run the command:
sudo nano ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
This command will open the autorun configuration file for editing.
13. At the very end of the file, you need to add the name of the application @RPiPlay, press CTRL-X to save the file and AND to confirm the changes.
Now the “raspberry” is ready to work.
You can open Control Center on your iPhone, iPad or Mac and click the AirPlay button. You will see a new signal receiver appear. You can output image or sound here for supported applications.
Now it remains to connect the Raspberry to a TV or a projector via HDMI (for video mirroring) or to a speaker or music center via a 3.5 mm jack (for outputting only an audio signal).
In the second case, you will need to change the default audio output channel. To do this, run the command in the Terminal:
In the menu that opens, select the section Others – Audio and specify 3.5mm jack as priority.
Sound will be output from the audio jack instead of HDMI.
This is how you can add AirPlay support for any TV or speaker with the help of stale “raspberries”.
Source: iPhones.ru — Новости высоких технологий, обзоры смартфонов, презентации Apple by www.iphones.ru.
*The article has been translated based on the content of iPhones.ru — Новости высоких технологий, обзоры смартфонов, презентации Apple by www.iphones.ru. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!