Changes in temperature, the incoming cold front and the persistent cold put a significant strain on our bodies. The negative effects of the cold can be prevented by proper dressing, consuming hot foods and beverages. If you get cold, chatter, feel pain or numbness – these are already signs of cold or freezing! Prevent further cooling with exercise or go indoors to warm up.
Dress appropriately: protect yourself from wind and moisture
- Change wet clothes as soon as possible. Wear natural wool or cotton underwear.
- Pay particular attention to wearing suitable shoes and boots, because the foot cools quickly, the toes can easily suffer lighter-more severe frostbite injuries.
- Protect your hands and head in the same way. Do not hold cold objects with bare hands, be sure to wear gloves below minus 10 degrees.
Keep the apartment warm
- In the great cold, the elderly should preferably not go outdoors.
- It is important that the appropriate temperature in the interior, the apartment must also be provided.
- The risk of cooling is not only in the open air, but also in our apartment, if there permanently 15TheTemperatures below C are a major risk, especially for the elderly, the sick and those with reduced mobility.
- Dress in layers inside the apartment, also protect your feet with wool socks, wear slippers.
- Put a rug on the floor, place a pillow or rug in front of or between doors that do not close perfectly.
Take care of the little ones
- Do not take the child for a walk below minus 10 degrees. If you have to go outdoors with it (eg due to administration, etc.), dress it up in layers, thoroughly, apply a greasy cream to your face and nose.
- If possible, travel in a windshield stroller and try to spend as little time outside with it as possible.
- In strong winds, big fog only set off with a small child if it is unavoidable.
Pay close attention to these symptoms
- People with chronic illness preferably do not stay outdoors for long periods in extreme cold weather.
- On arrival of the cold front people with high blood pressure should pay attention to their symptoms: their blood pressure may rise, which is characterized by headaches, back pressure.
- It is very important that remember to take your medication in the event of their complaints, seek the advice of their doctor and, if necessary, consult on any dose adjustment of the medicines.
- Further, cold front symptom is increased seizure, which can occur in patients with heart disease as chest tightness or so-called kidney stone colic as well. In the latter case, the seizure-like violent pain occurs in the lumbar region and usually radiates to the lower abdomen, genitals, thigh. Fever-free chills, frequent painful urination, rapid heartbeat. These symptoms should be taken seriously and a doctor should be consulted when they occur.
Avoid the disease
- The number of respiratory infections also increases at this time. Protect yourself – whoever has a runny nose, coughs, preferably avoid crowded community spaces, use a handkerchief if you cough, sneeze.
- Drink more warm fluids, tea, vitamin C-containing fruits, vegetables (e.g. apples, citrus fruits, cabbage).
Consume less alcohol
If you exercise or work outdoors in the cold, it is also important to consume at least 2 liters or more of fluids a day. However, consuming concentrated alcoholic beverages is not recommended because they increase the heat dissipation of the limbs and thus help to cool down!
In the cold, aggression increases
If you are traveling by car, bring a warm blanket and hot liquid in a thermos. Traffic is brought to the attention of the cold front to increase aggressionst, but if we pay attention to this consciously, we can avoid unnecessary stressful situations. Be patient and forgiving with each other to reduce the risk of accidents.
This is how our body reacts to the great cold
In case of mild cold, our limbs are cold. By the time we talk, our body temperature has dropped significantly. If our limbs and movement hurt, our attention slows down, this is already a sign of severe cooling, we need to prevent further cooling by moving or visiting a warming place. If you feel numbness in your fingers and toes, it means that the risk of a possible frostbite injury is already increased. Pale face and pale skin are also signs of the effects of the cold. In this case, start warming up that part of the body immediately (eg by rubbing). If you experience arrhythmia, chest pain, shortness of breath in the cold, seek medical attention. In this case, you should not continue physical activity as it may aggravate your condition.
Source: Patika Magazin Online by www.patikamagazin.hu.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Patika Magazin Online by www.patikamagazin.hu. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!