One of the highlights of macOS is its Dock. It is quite a differentiating element with respect to other operating systems such as Windows, despite not being exclusive to Mac either. In it, it is possible to easily place a series of shortcuts to drives, applications or directories to always have it within reach. but what not everyone knows is that it is possible to link to websites.
In this way, if you frequently use a certain web page, and want to have it anchored in the Dock, you can save a lot of time, because instead of first accessing the browser and then accessing it, you will have the ability to enter the website with a single click whenever you wish.
So you can pin your favorite pages and websites to your Mac’s Dock
As we mentioned, in this case it is possible to anchor websites as if they were applications in the Mac’s Dock. However, it is not something that Apple allows to do by default. Instead, you will need to have previously installed the Microsoft Edge browser on macOS or Google Chrome because they are the browsers that allow you to create applications based on websites thanks to Chromium technology.
With this in mind, say that the steps to follow vary slightly between Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge, so it is important that you choose between one of the two. It is also important to note that the process can be done with Google Chrome for any website, while if Microsoft Edge is used it will be necessary that the website has enabled a PWA.
How to link to a website with Google Chrome on Mac
First of all, if you want to carry out this process using Google Chrome browser, you just have to follow the following steps:
- Access the website you want to use to create the link.
- On top, click on the three points that appear on the right, and then select «More tools». A new contextual menu will open, where you should choose the option «Create shortcut …».
- A new window will open, where you should choose the name you want for the link. Be sure to check the option «Open as window», otherwise you will not be able to add it to the Dock.
- Once done, the Chrome applications folder will open with Finder. Click on the shortcut to your website and drag it to the Dock of the Mac to be able to dock it.
Once this is done, you can change the position within the macOS Dock if you wish, and in this way you will have the direct access as close as possible. In addition, it stands out enough that, when opening it, instead of opening a new Google Chrome tab, the website in question opens in a separate window, as if it were a native application on the computer.
Pin websites to the Mac’s Dock with Microsoft Edge
Another option to be able to pin a website to the Mac’s Dock is through use Microsoft Edge browser. In this case, the procedure is slightly different, because if the website has a PWA (progressive application), it will be possible to anchor it directly to the Dock and open it in a separate window, as it happens with all websites. in Google Chrome. However, In the event that it does not have it, although you can create the link, it will open in a new tab within the browser, which may be somewhat uncomfortable on certain occasions.
If in spite of this you would like to carry out this process using Microsoft Edge, you just have to follow the next steps:
- Enter the website for which you want to create a link in the Dock.
- Click on the three points that appear in the upper right, and then enter the menu called «Applications». Various options will appear, but you must click on “Install this site as an application” in order to carry out the process.
- As with Google Chrome, you can choose aspects like the name of the link if you wish in the new window that will open.
- The folder of Microsoft Edge’s own applications will appear in Finder. You should only drag with the mouse the application related to the website you wanted to the Dock to be able to anchor that page.
Once this is done, you can open this link and see how only if the website has a PWA application installed works as a standalone website, although if this is not the case, you will also have the possibility of opening the link in a new tab within the browser itself.
Not convinced? So you can remove the new applications
If after having tried it you are not convinced, you should not worry. In order to delete the new application that has been generated from the web page (and, therefore, the corresponding link), you must look inside Finder for the folder «Chrome applications» or «Edge applications» depending on the browser used. Maybe a Spotlight search can help you in case you can’t find it.
Once here, all you have to do is find within the folder the application in question created, and using the right button or dragging send it to the trash. In this way, you will see how both the Lauchpad application and the Mac’s Dock shortcut are removed, although you can repeat the process whenever you need to.
Source: iPadizate by www.ipadizate.es.
*The article has been translated based on the content of iPadizate by www.ipadizate.es. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!