Recently, more and more necessary programs and games began to disappear from the domestic App Store. The trend is not very good, and the prospects for the domestic application market are still vague.
Unlike Android, you can’t just install an app downloaded from the web on iPhone and iPad, and there aren’t any official alternatives to the App Store yet.
It’s time to remember about an interesting way to download applications called AltStore. It will help you install a couple of necessary programs or games that are no longer in the App Store.
Attention! We do not support piracy and support the purchase of licensed content. This method is published for informational purposes only.
It’s definitely not worth downloading the missing banking application in this way (it’s better to use the web version), but it’s quite possible to install some kind of music player, game, or, for example, a torrents downloader.
This is useful for those who did not have time to download the application before deleting it from the store or cannot download the application from the shopping list after restoring their smartphone.
What is AltStore, how safe and legal is it
This is a non-commercial open source project that can be explored at GitHub.
Developers use a completely legal method of signing and installing applications on iPhone or iPad. It does not use third-party or corporate certificates from third parties, which are easily tracked by Apple and can be revoked.
Each Apple ID owner can assemble and sign the application with their own certificate, and AltStore simplifies and automates this process. You don’t need to install Xcode and study the procedure for signing applications.
AltStore does not receive or collect user data, and the provided Apple ID login and password are used only in the installed application. You don’t have to worry about the security of your data. The project has long been known in the vastness of the network, has an open source code and has been repeatedly tested by third-party enthusiasts.
Even assuming that the Apple ID and password fall into the wrong hands, with two-factor authentication enabled, this will not cause any harm to the record owner. If that still doesn’t convince you, just create a new AltStore account.
This method has a restriction on installation three signed applications. This is not a decision by the AltStore developers, but an Apple requirement. In addition, you will have to re-sign the program every 7 daysbut this is easily solved.
If you want to completely forget about these restrictions, you can purchase an iOS developer certificate and sign an unlimited number of applications for up to one year.
How to install AltStore on your iPhone or iPad
1. Download and install the app AltServer on a Mac or Windows PC with developer site.
2. Run the application and through the icon in the menu bar, activate auto-start after restarting the Mac, this will be required for further work.
3. Quit the standard macOS email client if it’s running. On the menu AltServer select item Install Mail plug-in and confirm the installation by entering the administrator password.
4. Launch the macOS email client and open its settings. On the tab Main click Manage plugins…activate AltPluginapply the settings, and restart the application.
5. Connect your unlocked iPhone or iPad to your computer with a cable and search for the device in Finder / iTunes (for older versions of macOS).
6. On the tab Main enable the option Show this iPhone if connected via Wi-Fi.
7. Click on the icon AltServer in the menu bar, select Install AltStore and select the connected smartphone or tablet.
8. Enter your Apple ID and password to sign the app you are installing.
9. After a few seconds the icon AltStore will appear on the smartphone screen, and to run the program, you will need to confirm your account profile (Settings – General – VPN and device management).
10. Ready! Application AltStore signed with your account certificate and ready to go.
How to install applications through AltStore
After AltStore has been successfully downloaded to your smartphone or tablet, all that remains is to find and download the application you need in the format *.ipa.
The program in the Files application will be associated with the utility AltStoreyou will need to open the file through the menu Share and wait for the installation to finish.
All applications installed in this way will work 7 days, after which you will need to re-sign them. This process is easy to automate.
In the parameters AltStore re-enter your Apple ID and password so that the utility can renew the certificate and activate the option Background refresh. After that, the application will try to re-sign installed programs in the background. To do this, the iPhone must be on the same Wi-Fi network as the computer running AltServer.
For convenience, you can display the AltStore widget, where you can monitor the deadline for signing applications and activate this process at a convenient time.
Source: iPhones.ru — Новости высоких технологий, обзоры смартфонов, презентации Apple by www.iphones.ru.
*The article has been translated based on the content of iPhones.ru — Новости высоких технологий, обзоры смартфонов, презентации Apple by www.iphones.ru. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!