It’s the traffic jam in the town halls to make or redo your passport before going on vacation this summer! The lead time to get it can be up to 12 weeks, but luckily there are some tricks.
In the cities of France, it is becoming complicated, even impossible, to obtain an appointment at the town hall to renew or make your passport before the summer. To consider a departure, it is therefore advisable to start the process now. Indeed, whereas previously, the procedure required three to four weeks, the delays were considerably extended in 2022 and 2023. Today, it is necessary to wait an average of 90 days, although variations exist depending on the region. Fortunately, to overcome this ordeal, totally free websites make it easier to find an appointment at the town hall, but a few steps are necessary before you get there. Explanations.
How to get your passport in France?
Obtaining a passport in France requires a number of steps that we present to you here. Note, however, that the exact details may vary depending on your specific situation and where you live. Also, for the most current and detailed information, please see the official site of the French government.
- Gather the necessary documents: These documents may include a copy of your identity card, proof of address, identity photos, your old passport (if you have one), a full copy of your birth certificate, etc. The specific documents required may vary depending on your situation, so it is important to check the exact list of documents required.
- Online pre-request : Could you do a passport pre-application on the official website of the French administration. This saves time during your appointment at the town hall. You will need to create an account, complete the pre-application form with your personal information, then print the pre-application receipt.
- Make an appointment at the town hall: Once you have all your documents and your pre-application, you must make an appointment at the town hall to finalize your passport application. Note that not all town halls issue passports, so check which town hall near you does.
- Attend your appointment: During your appointment, you will need to bring all your documents, including your pre-application receipt. The agent will check your documents, take your fingerprints and give you a receipt which will allow you to collect your passport when it is ready.
- Collect your passport: Once your passport is ready, you will have to come back to the town hall to pick it up. You must do this in person and bring the receipt given to you during your appointment, as well as your old passport in case of renewal.
What documents are required to obtain a passport in France?
To apply for a passport in France, you will need to provide a number of documents. Here’s a general list of what’s needed, but keep in mind that the exact requirements may vary depending on your specific situation.
- Identity document: A national identity card or another passport, for example.
- Proof of address: This could be an electricity, gas, telephone (landline or mobile) bill, a tax or non-tax notice, etc.
- ID photos: Two recent and identical identity photos, respecting the standards in force.
- Revenue stamps: The cost of a passport for an adult is 86 euros, payable in tax stamps which you can buy on line or in a tobacco shop.
- Birth certificate: A complete copy of the birth certificate may be necessary, especially if this is the first time you are applying for a passport.
- old passport: If you are renewing your passport, you will need to bring the old one.
In the event of a specific situation such as for a minor, other documents may be necessary such as proof of parental authority, the tax stamp is also less expensive.
Free sites that help to find an appointment at the town hall
The most complicated step to obtain your passport is the appointment at the Town Hall. Submerged since the pandemic and despite the support of the government, the latter are encountering enormous concern in offering appointments on the correct dates. But fortunately, two free sites allow you to quickly find an appointment if you are flexible enough.
On the one hand, there is the National Agency for Secure Titles (ANTS) which has set up search engine which compiles, for the next three months, the appointments available in a defined geographical area. To use the latter, you must indicate the maximum search distance (20, 40 or 60 km), the reason for the appointment, the number of applicants and your location. The search engine then presents you with the towns and meeting slots available over a maximum period of 3 months, according to the criteria you have entered. Once you have selected a niche, the search engine redirects you to the site of the town hall concerned to make an appointment online. Don’t expect a miracle, especially if you live in a big city!
On the other hand, we have the site Vitemonpasseport.fr which offers the possibility of locating in a single click the first appointments available to renew one’s passport or identity card within a radius of 100 km around one’s home. It lists all the town halls equipped with a biometric station as well as the time slots for filing applications. Better than the government site, the latter seemed to us simpler, more responsive and above all succeeded in finding us appointments quickly, insofar as you have a flexible timetable and a means of transport. without being afraid to travel several kilometers to get your passport!
An accelerated procedure exists, allowing the obtaining of a temporary passport of one year of validity in one day (or 48 hours maximum). For this option to be validated, you will need to provide a solid reason, “compelling and binding, of an exceptional nature”, according to the public services site. This may include imperative family reasons (such as a death), humanitarian reasons (such as supporting people in danger), or urgent professional missions.
If you are in such a situation, go to the nearest prefecture after completing your online pre-application. Add to your file (whose documents are listed above) all the documents you deem relevant to prove the urgency of your trip: death certificate, hospitalization certificate, letter from your employer, etc. Your temporary passport will only cost €30, but please note that it is only valid for one year, compared to 10 years for a normal passport.
Source: Journal du Geek by www.journaldugeek.com.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Journal du Geek by www.journaldugeek.com. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!