“He can kill by a simple inhalation!


Doctor Tudor Ciuhodaru draws the attention of Romanians to the abuse of toxic substances, used to eliminate rodents. They are extremely harmful to humans due to their aluminum phosphide content.

Doctor Tudor Ciuhodaru provides all the information about aluminum phosphide, a substance used to make poison in rats and mice. To avoid an accident, carefully read the instructions for use of the product. Also, here’s how to avoid contact with poison and what to do in this circumstance!

“He can kill by a simple inhalation! Be very careful how you use this substance in the household. It is very toxic to humans. Two children, 1 and a half and 3 years old from Coarnele Caprei, died after inhaling poison for rats and mice placed in their room by their mother.

What you need to know about aluminum phosphide poisoning:

1. It is a cheap rodenticide (a few lei) but effective, commonly used for processing cereals. Unfortunately, it remains one of the most common and severe pesticide poisonings.

2. It is extremely toxic – both by ingestion, inhalation but also by simple skin contact.

3. If ingested and / or in contact with moisture, it releases phosphine gas (hydrogen phosphorus) – with a smell similar to that of carbide or garlic – extremely toxic to humans and animals – with respiratory and digestive irritants but also systemic toxicity. affecting the lungs, heart, liver and kidneys – ranging from toxic pulmonary edema, arrhythmias and heart failure, acidosis. 1 tablet (3 g) releases 1 g of phosphine.

4. Aluminum phosphate poisoning has a high mortality (30-100%) and survival is unlikely after ingestion of 1.5 g and by inhalation are dangerous for life levels higher than 50 parts per million and at 400-600 ppm is lethal in half an hour. (allowable exposure limit for phosphine is <0.3 ppm (parts per million) in the working environment).

5. Symptoms appear quickly, are nonspecific and dependent on the dose and route of exposure.

a) Inhalation is dominated by respiratory tract irritation and difficulty breathing which may be associated with dizziness, fatigue, tightness in the chest, headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, ataxia (coordination disorders), numbness, paresthesias, tremor, muscle weakness, diplopia (double vision) and jaundice. The patient may develop heart failure, heart arrhythmias, seizures and coma, and late hepatotoxicity and nephrotoxicity may occur.

b) After ingestion, the symptoms appear within a few minutes and are dominated by nausea, repeated vomiting, diarrhea, headache, abdominal discomfort or pain and tachycardia. In moderate to severe intoxication, the signs and symptoms of the initial gastrointestinal, cardiovascular, respiratory and nervous systems appear and, later, characteristics of hepatic and renal insufficiency and disseminated intravascular coagulation may also appear.

c) Patients may remain conscious until the final stage, but may have manifestations such as headaches, dizziness, convulsions and coma.

Important:

1. The diagnosis is based on clinical or historical suspicion. The diagnosis can be easily made by simply testing the paper impregnated with silver nitrate on the gastric contents or on the breath.

2. Treatment. There is no specific antidote. Rapid referral to a doctor, resuscitation, diagnosis, intensive monitoring and supportive therapy are just a few milestones.

3. First aid consists of decontamination, removal from the environment and support. As phosphine is absorbed through the skin, skin and eye decontamination should be performed with clean water as soon as possible.

4. After ingestion, the effectiveness of intestinal decontamination to reduce absorption depends primarily on the duration of exposure to poisons and is useful if done in 1-2 hours.

Remember:

1. This substance is very toxic to humans. Carefully read the instructions for use on the package. It is kept under lock and key, accessible only to authorized persons, in the original, hermetically sealed packaging.

2. IT IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN TO USE THIS TOXIC IN INHABITED SPACES OR IN THE IMMEDIATE NEIGHBORHOOD.

3. Industrial use involves authorized teams, trained to work with such substances, equipped with standardized protective equipment (including gloves and mask).

4. After the gassing period, the doors, windows, ventilation openings open wide for at least 6 hours.

5. Dust remaining from the introduced tablets (aluminum oxide, aluminum hydroxide) will be removed by vacuuming and cleaning.

6. Insufficient regulations and lack of health education continue to lead to tragedies in Romania.

7. These tragedies can be avoided! We have already called on the European Commission for new legislation at European level on these toxins “, explains doctor Tudor Ciuhodaru, on Facebook.


Source: Doctorul Zilei by www.doctorulzilei.ro.

*The article has been translated based on the content of Doctorul Zilei by www.doctorulzilei.ro. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!

*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.

*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!