Again, there is power and the mind is ventilated. Hanna Nohynek, 62, has been sitting for another hour at a book district meeting. This time remotely, as the corona pandemic demands. The book circle of female friends has been a lifeline for Nohynek for more than thirty years.
Although he is quite often the one who did not have time to read the book, there is enough to talk about. Children, unions, home, family, work, celebrations, discoveries, culture …
– Wonderful things that can be shared. They are needed now. You will feel good when you have been with important people and feel important to them, says Nohynek.
Content continues after ad
He is one of the chief physicians who is interviewed in the media about the corona almost weekly. Nohynek is currently employed in coronavirus vaccines. They are excellent in preventing serious forms of the disease and are also effective in the elderly. However, the efficacy of vaccines in preventing infection and infectivity is not yet known. It is also still unclear how long the vaccines will last.
The content continues below the ad
Korona took the coffee
Hanna Nohynek has come for an interview from home from Vantaa by train, bike included. The backpack swings on the shoulder. From the interview, he treads to THL for a vaccine group meeting.
The smell of coffee is serious. Nohynek has not been able to drink coffee since he fell ill with a corona in April.
– Severe anosmia, ie the loss of sense of smell and taste, seems to leave some kind of damage to the cells in the taste buds. Or just imagine.
But I can’t do without coffee. The cause of the corona, the covid-19 virus, is such a challenging opponent, and the emergency in front of it is so great that no hours are now being counted. Not only that, Nohynek calculates: in the summer, more than 60 working hours a week were easily added to the calendar. During the holiday week, there were 42.5 of them.
– From time to time, my husband, anxious about my time spent, said I had no vacation. That is largely true, but my responsibility as a strategic advisor now requires this.
He says it without sacrificing and shows his color-coded calendar days. Yellow marker means work, green exercise and red culture. Red is in drops, exercise a few hours a week and exercise with a bike is marked in kilometers. Yellow, or work, is often until nine in the evening, sometimes later.
– If the work of the day is sufficiently different from each other, they will not be a burden. I’m lucky when I can arrange it so that the binding and alternate nice things. Plus, the work is intellectually stimulating, and I get to do it with the world’s tops. What a job then and what fun, Nohynek thinks.
Unknown thing: chilling
Career choice was not a matter of course. At the beginning of high school, Hanna was interested in languages and literature. During the exchange year in the United States, it seemed natural to work and study in parallel, as is customary.
Hanna grew to appreciate hard work from an early age. The father was a demanding gymnastics teacher, and the children embraced the idea that without goals and perseverance, there would be no result.
– I learned as a child at the cottage that in the morning we go fishing, then to work in the yard and even on a jog. After the run, heart rate and recovery are measured. I don’t know about chilling. I guess I’ve always been a bit harsh to myself.
Through the crisis as a helper
During the exchange year, the girl fell in love. A year later, the young man followed to Finland and settled permanently. When Hanna attended high school last grade, she found herself pregnant despite contraception. It was an unplanned and personal crisis place. Young people found themselves too young to be parents.
– I had a big struggle in my mind, and its effects were also visible in my career choice. Hanna aspired to study medicine, and it wasn’t far from her passions. Biology and geography were favorite subjects at school, thanks to an advanced teacher who had taken students into the woods and inspired them to learn about nature from the cellular level.
Much later, in some leadership training, one had to rethink one’s values and characterize one’s own seemingly own task. Nohynek said he wanted to help. Do what she had talked to as a mother to her mother after reading storybooks together. Because in the books the children were poor. A bit like Grandmother Tyyne.
Life can be epic
One of the paintings at Nohynek’s home is more beloved than the others. That’s a colleague, Pauliina Aarnion to paint Mothers of my life, which is reminiscent of how we carry the story of mothers and grandmothers involved.
Tyyne’s grandmother was in modest circumstances and couldn’t get to study because she had to work from the age of 14. Nohynek’s mother, on the other hand, adapted to the traditional role, in which the man became a more dominant head of the family.
– I’m not going to do that, I’m making myself the life I want. That’s what I thought when I was young. Mom helped with the goal as she paid for my coaching course in medical. For some reason, my mother wanted me to be a chemist.
-The painting reminds me of Pacific and that life can be quite epic.
In the seventies, Hanna joined the communist youth of Tapiola and marched for Chilean democracy in the international solidarity movement. He also studied Spanish in order to better understand those in need on the other side of the globe.
Dengue fever also experienced
Nohynek was specializing in pediatrics in 1987 when the phone rang. At the end of the thread, he was asked if he would be interested in the work of an investigator in the Philippines. The idea immediately inspired him, and he decided to become a full-time researcher.
Nohynek had a two-year-old daughter with an American man when the family moved to Manila, later to the island of Bohol in the Central Philippines. The husband went along to finalize his dissertation. The research team studied children with pneumonia.
In the Philippines, Nohynek and his daughter became ill with mosquito-borne dengue fever for which there is no cure. The infection was severe, and took me to the hospital for a week. The racing daughter missed the whole race season.
– We lived there like the locals, and we were no better safe than they were.
Let’s do what can
A lifestyle that gives room for chance has felt like Hanna Nohynek’s own. The idea of managing life, in which one can self-directed one’s course of life, is alien to Asian culture.
– In the Philippines, I internalized that I do what I can and what I consider important. The work went well, and there was joy and belief that this would work. It is a basic confidence in life.
-Still you don’t have to be completely fatalistic, of course your own actions also affect you. However, there is no need to be constantly tense or unhappy or sad about how things are going.
Coincidence also plays a role at work when calculating risks on a daily basis. Who is more likely to get sick? Risk analysis is part of the tools. The physician should attempt to understand the patient’s risk tolerance, likelihood of surviving, or enduring the disease.
Nohynek saw how pneumonia kills, and how unfair it feels. He tried to help more, worked longer.
The marriage ended in 2000, according to Nohynek, his workaholic. Their daughter is now 32 years old.
Korona as a gift from Stockholm
When Nohynek fell ill as a coroner during a conference trip in Stockholm last April, he knew the probability of surviving was pretty good. If the body’s immunological system were to overreact – even if it was in good condition – the situation could be serious.
– On the other hand, why would I think about it when, however, I could not do anything in that situation.
The idea of the trip was to combine work and fun, as there was an engagement, Mika P. Salminen. He is no longer in working life.
When he returned home to Nohynek, Korona broke out, less than a week later also to Salminen. Severe limb pain, loss of sense of smell and taste, high fever and strange hypersensitivity on the skin. The daughter, who lives in Suomenlinna, made chicken soup and transported it to patients in Vantaa.
Nohynek rested his computer in his lap in bed, fell asleep attending Teams meetings, and tried to get eaten. She was too sore to be scared for her own sake but she was worried about her husband.
– The whooping cough made the man bluish, but as a typical guy he didn’t go to the hospital. Once, while going to bed, I wondered if I could still find a man out of bed in the morning alive. Salminen was found sleeping in an armchair because there were fewer coughing spells.
In 2004, Nohynek’s daughter suggested to her mother that she go out a bit, to watch Maija Vilkkumaan’s gig at Hotel Vantaa. It was four years since the divorce.
– Actually, my daughter demanded that I leave work. I went and hiked to Salmis. It happened by force. I might now be in more international positions if I hadn’t had a new life with Salminen.
A wonderful coincidence that the man was there. Through him came life, which includes, among other things, a small farm built in the 1930s in Iiti. There was a lot there in the summer and because of the corona we are in the autumn as well. The cottage also welcomes Salminen’s adult children and six grandchildren. Filling with them and adventuring in the woods is fun.
In Helsinki, Nohynek treads between THL and home and may take a trip to Kuusijärvi to the smoke sauna or to Suomenlinna with her daughter.
The backpack runs through the year in a swimsuit and towel. If the power starts to clot, you can take a break and go for a swim. as secretary. Family Mature daughter from a previous marriage.
This article has appeared in Good Health magazine. As a subscriber, you can read all numbers free of charge from the digilehdet.fi service
*The article has been translated based on the content of Hyvä Terveys by www.hyvaterveys.fi. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!