The neat, upright flowerbed border draws the shapes of the yard. It is advisable to trim the plantings from the lawn so that the hay does not spread to the flower bed and the flower bed plants to the lawn.
The curbs should be built on the same level as the flower bed. Then the lawn is easy to mow along the edge, and there are no hand-weed haystacks left on the border of the bench. At some point, however, the raised edge works better: an embossed bench is created in which the substrate for the flower bed is thick to the brim.
We listed seven different ways to crop a flower bed. What fits your garden?
Also read: Have you already heard of the no dig method? Gardeners are now buzzing with this new old way of getting their inspiration from nature – and retiring the shovel
Flowerbed border x 7
1. Carry the grass edge
Carry the edge of the lawn with a sharp garden shovel or handrail. Dig a ditch about 5 inches wide and 5 inches deep around the bench. Fill your ditch with weed-free soil so the mower’s wheeled wheels run smoothly over the mulch rim.
- Edging should be done in the spring and renewed at least once in the summer.
- The shovel should be straight so that the edge of the edging is straight.
- It is worth getting a ferrule if you have a lot to carry.
- The edging is suitable for a well-kept garden, it looks natural.
2. Border the bench with field paving
Dig a ditch about 10 inches wide and 15 inches deep around the bench. Pour in moist soil and immerse the cobblestones in the decoration. It is advisable to make the surface level so that the wheels of the mower run on it.
- The concrete edge is suitable for large gardens where groups of plants are viewed from afar. In a small garden, it works just as well, but fresh concrete in particular can take too much attention.
- Concrete cracks into time and especially in the shade it gets its surface from moss – the rough, aged edging is suitable for a decaying romantic garden.
3. Edge the bench with a concrete or granite stone edge
Dig a ditch at least 20 inches wide and 20 inches deep around the bench. Apply installation sand to the trench, and install concrete stones, granite nuggets or Nupukivi in the sand. Tap the stones in place with a mosquito, and brush the sand between the stones.
- Concrete stones are inexpensive and come in many shapes and colors. Granite stones are more expensive, but natural stones always make a valuable impression.
- A row of stones around the bench should be installed at the level of the lawn so that the wheels of the mower run over the row of stones.
- If the Barns have stones on two, three floors as a raised bench, gravel must be spread in front of the stone wall as well.
- The concrete and dice stone edging are suitable for a modern, well-kept garden.
4. Border the lawn with plastic tape
There are many different plastic ribbons, straight and wavy and even stone imitations available to line the flower beds. Some models are printed almost hidden on the edge of the lawn. The idea of the other borders is the visibility of the border.
- The plastic tolerates temptation to the desired shapes.
- Plastic stays on the ground almost forever – for better or worse.
- If the edging is immersed almost completely in the ground, the plants may escape from side to side.
- The gravel edge around the raised edge band allows for lawn mowing.
- When leaving the border visible, you should choose the one that best suits the style of your garden.
- Before long, any plastic placed on the ground will break down into a microplastic.
5. Border the bench with wood
Use a raw board or a finished roll of wood for edging. Durable wood lasts for years in contact with the ground, but after use it should be disposed of properly.
- Long boards do not bend into curved shapes, but the rolled goods can be shaped to their liking.
- If the tree edge is left on the ground, apply gravel to the edge of the lawn to cut the grass.
- Wood is an inexpensive and easy building material that can also be painted to your liking.
- The benches can also be lined with rotting wood, branches of yard trees or shrubs.
6. Edge the bench with metal
Use weather-resistant (Cor-Ten) steel if you want the edging to be corrosion-resistant. You can get cheap and stainless iron from the scrap yard. Press the curb into the ground or leave part of the ground as a raised bench.
- The metal is a durable material that harmonizes naturally with the crop.
- Cardboard steel can be purchased according to dimensions.
- Tools are needed to cut the scrap iron.
- A layer of gravel around ensures mowing right down to the edge.
- Suitable for a modern garden.
7. Border your own plot of stones
The stones found on your own plot can be used as highlights of planting areas – also as a bench edge. However, small cobblestones will sink into the crop in a couple of years unless their substrate is carefully set up.
- Do not place stones directly on the lawn. Dig out the soil under the curb, install a root mat in the trench and fill with sand.
- Arrange the stones so that the stones remain visible. You can use different sizes of stones and the width of the border can also vary. A natural impression is created when you place the earth stones among the plants as well.
- A gravel border along which the wheels of the mower must run must be left at the interface between the stones and the lawn.
You might also be interested in these things:
Flower field produces ingredients for bouquets throughout the summer – Swedish siblings grow hundreds of bouquets
Hanna’s flower beds are bursting with peonies! See pictures of a garden that blooms from spring to fall
Setting up a perennial bench brings joy year after year – see tips and foundations for a thriving perennial bench
Source: Puutarha – Kotiliesi.fi by kotiliesi.fi.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Puutarha – Kotiliesi.fi by kotiliesi.fi. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!