A neat, tidy border of the flower bed draws out the shapes of the yard. Plantings should be bordered from the lawn so that the hay does not spread to the flower bed and the plants of the flower bed do not spread to the lawn.
Borders should be built at the same level as the flower bed. Then it’s easy to mow the lawn right up to the edge, and there are no tufts of hay left on the edge of the bench to be weeded by hand. In some places, however, a raised edging works better: a raised bed is created, where the growth medium of the flower bed is thick all the way to the edges.
We listed seven different ways to border a flower bed. What suits your garden?
Read also: Have you already heard of the no dig method? Gardeners are now abuzz with this new-age way that takes its inspiration from nature – and retires the spade
Flower bed border x 7
1. Carry the lawn edge
Carry the edge of the lawn with a sharp garden spade or carrying iron. Dig a ditch around the bench about 5 centimeters wide and 5 centimeters deep. Fill your ditch with weed-free soil, and the wheels on the side of the lawnmower will run gently over the soil border.
- Covering should be done in the spring and renewed at least once in the summer.
- It is good for the shovel to have a straight blade, so that the edge of the cover becomes straight.
- It is worthwhile to get a carrying iron if there is a lot to carry.
- The edging is suitable for a well-maintained garden, it has a natural look.
2. Edge the bench with field stones
Dig a ditch around the bench about 10 centimeters wide and 15 centimeters deep. Pour soil-moist concrete into it and embed cobblestones as decoration. The surface should be made flat so that the wheels of the lawnmower can run on it.
- Concrete edging is suitable for large gardens, where groups of plants can be viewed from afar. In a small garden, it works just as well, but especially fresh concrete may take too much attention.
- The concrete is cracking with time, and especially in the shade, it gets a surface of moss – the rough, aged edging is suitable for a decaying romantic garden.
3. Edging the bench with a concrete or granite stone edging
Dig a ditch around the bench at least 20 centimeters wide and 20 centimeters deep. Spread installation sand in the trench, and install concrete stones, granite blocks or cobblestones in the sand. Tap the stones in place with a trowel, and brush joint sand between the stones.
- Concrete stones are inexpensive and come in many shapes and colors. Granite stones are more expensive, but natural stones always make a valuable impression.
- The row of stones around the bench should be installed at the level of the lawn so that the wheels of the lawnmower run over the row of stones.
- If Ladot rocks two or three layers into raised beds, gravel must also be spread in front of the stone wall.
- Concrete and cobblestone edging are suitable for a modern, well-maintained garden.
4. Edge the lawn with plastic tape
There are many different plastic strips, straight and wavy and even stone imitations, available for edging flower beds. Some models are printed almost hidden on the edge of the lawn. The idea behind the other borders is the visibility of the border.
- Plastic tolerates bending into desired shapes.
- Plastic stays in the ground almost forever – for better or for worse.
- If the edging is almost completely buried in the ground, the plants may run from one side to the other.
- A gravel border around the raised edge band allows for grass cutting.
- When the border is left visible, you should choose the one that suits the style of your garden.
- All plastic that is put on the ground will soon break down into microplastics.
5. Edge the bench with wood
For edging, use a raw board or a ready-made wooden block roll. Sustainable wood lasts for years in contact with the ground, but after use it should be disposed of properly.
- Long boards do not bend into curved shapes, but the rolled material can be shaped to your liking.
- If the wooden border is left on the ground, spread gravel on the edge of the lawn so that the grass can be cut.
- Wood is an inexpensive and easy building material that can also be painted to your liking.
- The benches can also be lined with rotten wood, branches of yard trees or shrubs.
6. Edge the bench with metal
Use weather-resistant (Cor-Ten) steel if you want the edge to be corrosion-resistant. With luck, you can get cheap and rusting iron from a junkyard. Press the edging into the ground or leave a part on the surface of the ground as a raised bed.
- Metal is a durable material that naturally harmonizes with the plant.
- Cardan steel can be purchased according to measurements.
- Tools are needed to cut scrap metal.
- A layer of gravel around ensures that the grass can be cut right up to the edge.
- Suitable for a modern garden.
7. Edging with stones from your own plot
Earth stones found on your own plot can be used as highlights in planting areas – also as a bench border. However, small cobblestones will be lost in the vegetation in a couple of years, unless their base is carefully established.
- Don’t Place gravel directly on the lawn. Dig out the soil from under the edging, install a root mat in the trench and fill with sand.
- Place the stones in such a way that the stones remain visible. You can very well use stones of different sizes and the width of the edging can also vary. A natural effect is created when you place earth stones among the plants as well.
- A gravel edge should be left at the interface between the stones and the lawn, along which the wheels of the lawnmower run.
You might also be interested in these things:
The flower field produces ingredients for bouquets throughout the summer – Ruoti’s sisters grow hundreds of bouquet flowers
Hanna’s flower beds are bursting with peonies! See pictures of a garden that blooms from spring to fall
Establishing a perennial bed brings joy year after year – see the tips and create a thriving perennial bed
Source: Puutarha – Kotiliesi.fi by kotiliesi.fi.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Puutarha – Kotiliesi.fi by kotiliesi.fi. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!