At least four people were killed in Spain due to the consequences of the “Philomena” storm. The military and rescue services pulled 1,500 people out of cars left stranded on roads in the country.
The announcements of meteorologists that “icy days” will follow our country, will mean that the maximum daily temperatures will not exceed zero degrees Celsius, and as Djordje Đurić explained, until the cyclone from the Iberian Peninsula reaches Serbia, it will weaken significantly.
– Although Spain associates everyone with high temperatures and the Mediterranean climate, which makes this phenomenon very rare, Madrid, for example, has a very high altitude, so it is not impossible for something like this cyclone to happen once in a few years. Đurić.
In the following days, the cyclone will move, which caused heavy rainfall in Spain and Portugal, to the Balkan Peninsula.
– This cyclone will go through Greece towards Turkey and the Black Sea, later through Russia and Ukraine, whereby the cold air mass will withdraw. These icy days will arrive in our country from tomorrow, over the weekend until Monday. However, that does not mean that the temperatures will be significantly low for this time of year, it is normal, only the maximum daily temperatures will not exceed zero degrees – states Đurić.
Temperatures over the next few days
Tomorrow and Friday, temperatures in Serbia are expected to range from 0 to a maximum of 4 degrees Celsius, while temperatures for the weekend and Monday will range from -5 to 0, in Belgrade the lowest will be up to -2.
– The coldest day in a series of icy days will be Monday, especially that morning. Where the temperatures will be as high as – 10, and locally (for example Sjenica) and 15 degrees below zero – stated Đurić.
From the middle of next week, more precisely on Wednesday, the warming will start, and the temperatures in Serbia will exceed 5 degrees.
Why has this cyclone hit Spain now?
– Cyclones are normal every year. They usually move across the Apennine, Iberian and Balkan peninsulas. However, it is obvious that this year it moved more slowly and remained in the area of Spain and Portugal, which caused precipitation in the form of very heavy precipitation and low temperatures – says Đurić.
Next week, the country that will be hit by the storm that destroyed Madrid, is Turkey, but also Greece.
– Turkey, and again only some parts of it that are not coastal, can expect a scenario like the one in Spain, it will not happen in our country – said Đurić.
By the way, due to the storm Philomena, an unprecedented amount of snow fell in Madrid last week, and the temperature dropped to a record -36 degrees. It was the first snow in Madrid in the last 10 years, and it attacked about half a meter, which has not been recorded in the Spanish capital for as long as 50 years. At the same time, the monthly amount of rain fell in Gibraltar in just two days.
Will it last until January 20?
According to meteorologists, this cyclone can bring a very strong to stormy storm in the Adriatic area, as well as very low temperatures, and the cold can last until January 20.
Meteorologist and columnist of the Croatian portal “Indeks”, Dunja Maz, says that in recent years the rule has been established that hurricanes should be renamed even when they come to Europe as extratropical cyclones, and the names are given to the countries that are the first to be hit.
But, call me that cyclone Philomena or not, the fact is that it is the same system, although in the meantime, passing through the Mediterranean, it has undergone several changes. He has now reached the Ionian and Aegean Seas and continues further east. It will bring unusual precipitation to those parts, primarily to Turkey, but also to a part of Greece “, says Dunja Mraz. He adds that these are relatively unusual situations for this part of the world, but reminds that there have been strong storms in recent winters that brought unprecedented snows to the southern parts. Europe, and even to North Africa.
Dunja Mraz states that the relocation of this cyclonic system to the east from the west will cause the withdrawal of cold air from the north, from the Arctic Circle, to the south, and that this extremely cold ice wave is expected in Croatia as well.
*The article has been translated based on the content of Novosti.rs RSS – Današnje vesti by www.novosti.rs. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!
*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.
*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!