Electrical appliances most often the cause of fire in the home – “Fire blanket burned out”


Non-life insurance company If is concerned about the increase in the number of devastating fires caused by the charging of home appliances. In all, about 60 percent of all home fires are caused by electrical appliances, and one in three of these are related to cell phones, tablets, laptops, or other rechargeable devices, reveals If’s injury statistics.

In May, If tested fire tests on mobile phones and computers, the spread of fire and initial extinguishing. Extinguishing even a starting battery fire is very difficult at home.

“A typical alarm signal is that the device heats up more than usual during charging. Even then it must be stopped. If the device starts to smoke directly, prompt action is needed,” says the home insurance product manager in the press release. Laura Utunen About If.

“What is exceptional about a lithium-ion battery in a fire is its high temperature, flammable emissions that quickly spread the fire, and toxic flue gas. For example, the fire blanket burned when the puncture was extinguished. ”

• Do you want the most interesting Technology & Economics articles compiled in your email every day? Subscribe to our free newsletter from this link

A poor battery or charger can present a risk of fire with any rechargeable device. Products ordered from non-EU online shops for which there is no precise information on the origin can be particularly problematic. The larger the device and its battery, the more dangerous the potential fire.

The most dangerous, but probably also the most common place to charge a cell phone is the bedroom. The worst option is to charge on a bed or couch where the fire can spread quickly.

All home appliances should be charged on a hard, non-combustible surface. The charging bags available today can also be used: Based on If’s tests, they at least slow down the initial phase of a fire.

“It is safest to charge the device in a controlled manner and disconnect the device from the charger as soon as charging is complete. If you feel that the phone must be charged at night, do not charge in the same room where you sleep.

If a battery-powered appliance starts to smoke or catches fire, it cannot be extinguished in the same way as any other fire.

A fire blanket, powder extinguisher or carpet, for example, will not extinguish a battery fire. Instead, it is a good idea to have a foam fire extinguisher or lithium fire extinguisher at home for your initial fire. These two fire extinguishers are also helpful in other home fires.

Burning a battery produces a lot of toxic gas, so it’s important to stay away from smoke. The danger sign is a pungent smell of smoke, which, when detected, should quickly close the doors, leave the room and call the emergency number 112.


Source: Tivi by www.tivi.fi.

*The article has been translated based on the content of Tivi by www.tivi.fi. If there is any problem regarding the content, copyright, please leave a report below the article. We will try to process as quickly as possible to protect the rights of the author. Thank you very much!

*We just want readers to access information more quickly and easily with other multilingual content, instead of information only available in a certain language.

*We always respect the copyright of the content of the author and always include the original link of the source article.If the author disagrees, just leave the report below the article, the article will be edited or deleted at the request of the author. Thanks very much! Best regards!